22 Traditional Amish Recipes
These old fashioned Amish recipes are hearty, comforting, and delicious.
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Simple and made with the freshest ingredients, country cooking always satisfies a hungry family—and nothing says country cooking more than traditional Amish recipes do. We've gathered a list of some of our best Amish recipes that we wanted to share with you.
You can create a variety of hearty traditional Amish recipes that will have your family proudly sitting around the dinner table. From the sweet aroma of freshly baked apple pie to the succulent flavors of a homemade beef stew, there is something for everyone when it comes to home-style cooking and Amish recipes.
Using ingredients that are available in most American kitchens, these traditional Amish recipes don't rely on fancy cuts or expensive spices. Made with the simplicity and love, every recipe in this mouth-watering collection is perfect for the budget conscious. Our collection of wonderful recipes comes from the heartland and are a hearty fare. Simple and delicious, make these traditional Amish recipes for your family tonight.
Sign Up for Free Recipes
Plus! Check out this video for our test kitchen recipe, Dump and Go Amish Casserole:
15 Traditional Amish Recipes
Table of Contents
For more Amish recipes you may enjoy, try our "Top Rated Amish Recipes: 26 Classic, Old-Fashioned Recipes" eCookbook
Amish Bread Recipes
- Shortcut Amish Apple BreadThis version of Amish friendship bread recipe is great because it gives you a shortcut starter recipe, allowing you make the bread right away instead of in the traditional 10-day cycle. This bread can easily be made with any fruit that you prefer, but our recipe calls for apple or banana.
- Simple Amish White BreadHomemade bread is always much more delicious than store-bought, and this recipe is straightforward and delicious. Simple Amish White Bread is like many other Amish recipes - easy to make and uses ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- Amish BiscuitsEasy, down to the basics, these Amish Biscuits are great to add to your authentic Amish recipes collection.
- Amish CornbreadThis Amish Cornbread is easy to make and will be the perfect side to any soup or stew. It melts in your mouth and we'll quickly become a favorite cornbread recipe in your house.
- Amish Breakfast PuffsWhether you are looking for easy breakfast recipes or just love Amish recipes, this simple muffin is sure to please. When they're done baking, pour melted butter over the tops and roll them in cinnamon sugar.
- Amish White Bread Garlic Knots"The only thing I have changed in the Amish White Bread is the amount of sugar. I use less, otherwise, it would be too sweet to go with the garlic spread."
- Amish Cinnamon BreadThis Amish recipe is perfect for a breakfast or as a sweet snack after dinner. No matter when you would like to eat this bread, you can make it in just one hour.
Amish Dinner Recipes
- Amish Friendship SoupWith this recipe for Homemade Amish Friendship Soup, you can either prepare a delicious, classically Amish soup for your family to enjoy for supper, or you can put together a dry soup mix in a jar to gift to someone special as a gift.
- Simple Shepherd's PieIt doesn't get simpler than this easy ground beef casserole, otherwise known as a Shepherd's pie. This classic favorite never gets old!
- Amish Church SoupThis simple soup recipe is one of the best quick and easy Amish recipes you can find. Try this Amish Church Soup for lunch or alongside dinner. It's perfect for anyone who's on a budget, too.
- "When The Bishop Calls" CasseroleHave you ever needed to prepare a dish that will please and impress a crowd? "When The Bishop Calls" Casserole is a great option for a church potluck or another community gathering.
- Old Standby Amish Macaroni SaladPrepared the old-fashioned way, this recipe for Old Standby Amish Macaroni Salad has all of the great flavors you've come to expect from Amish cooking.
- Amish Country Casserole"Quick, easy and perfect dish for a busy week night dinner. Use thick cream of soups and only the best quality you can get as this is what gives this casserole most of it's flavor"
- Easy Amish MeatloafWant to switch up your typical meatloaf recipe? This Easy Amish Meatloaf is a super easy dump and go recipe that you can whip up in just one hour.
- Amish Potato SaladThis delicious potato salad recipe is one that you and your family will make again and again. It's hearty, full of flavor, and the ultimate side dish for any occasion.
Amish Dessert Recipes
- Amish Apple Fry PiesThe Amish have perfected fry pies, and here is an apple pie version. Amish Apple Fry Pies are covered in a vanilla glaze, so as long as you don't mind getting sticky, you can eat one with your hands.
- Amish Peach Upside Down Cake This delicious fruit dessert is just what every one craves after a day of hard work on the farm. The fruit is sweet and gooey, while the cake is light and fluffy. It's one of those Amish dessert recipes that everyone will love.
- Old Fashioned Funeral PieMade year round, this classic Amish dish is loaded with sweet flavors that work perfectly together. Made with cinnamon, allspice and a handful of raisins, Old Fashioned Funeral Pie is rich and moist, and sure to be a hit with the whole family.
- Authentic Amish Strawberry ShortcakeForget store-bought shortcake. With this easy recipe for Authentic Amish Strawberry Shortcake, you can enjoy the classic taste of that deliciously fruity dessert any time you want.
- Old Fashioned Amish Lemon Sponge PieLemon sponge pies are very typical Amish recipes, and this one is an age-old favorite. Old Fashioned Amish Lemon Sponge Pie is an easy pie recipe that makes a refreshing lemon pie, which is served chilled. It has very nice texture and flavor that make it a definite crowd-pleaser.
- Classic Amish Buttermilk PieClassic Amish Buttermilk Pie is a lovely pie recipe that is deliciously rich without being overcomplicated. Make a pie that will become a new family favorite instantly.
- Addictive Amish Applesauce CakeIf you're in need of a comforting cake recipe that will bring you back to simpler times, this Addictive Amish Applesauce Cake is just what you need. This delightful spiced fruit bread is perfect for the holidays, so you may consider making a few to pass around to friends and family.
- Traditional Amish Oatmeal PieTraditional Amish Oatmeal Pie will bring you back to the good old days. This simple Amish pie recipe brings only a few ingredients together to create a pie you can't live without.
9 Amish Food Facts You Didn't Know
- 1. They love discount damaged food. Bargain prices and "bent and dented" food items that are often discounted at stores are a favorite amongst the Amish. Probably because they tend to lead a plain and quaint lifestyle, and appreciate the value of a dollar.
- 2. The Amish believe in simple and traditional cuisine. Food is a big deal in the Amish social world. It is often central to fundraising events, weddings, and potlucks. Further, the Amish often sell their homemade food at local markets to "outsiders."
- 3. Most Amish eat a variety of foods. Among those especially are the ones who tend large gardens and orchards. Because much of their daily work can be quite physically demanding, many Amish are not concerned about reducing the amount of fat in their diets. Those with access to motorized transportation tend to buy more high-fat snack foods and eat out in restaurants more often than those who travel by horse and buggy.
- 4. Amish often raise their own livestock. Many Amish have laying hens for specifically for egg production, and chickens they raise that may be slaughtered for meat. They often raise pigs for meat as well.
- 5. Some Amish have their own dairies, which provide their families with a steady supply of milk and dairy goods. Even if an Amish family doesn't have a dairy, it's not uncommon for them to have a family cow. The Amish often drink their milk raw (not pasteurized), and claim that it has health benefits. While they often sell their produce at local markets, milk that isn't pasteurized isn't very popular with the wider community.
- 6. Baking is a common occupation for Amish housewives. They specialize in many baked goods, but the most common among the Amish are fry pies, whoopie pies, and friendship bread.
- 7. The Amish typically are not vegetarian or vegan. They eat most all meats such as pork, chicken, and beef. Any meals that lack meat might instead feature cheese or eggs as the primary protein source.
- 8. Amish eat a special meal after church service on Sunday. The foods served at these gatherings are pretty basic. They typically consist of bread, cheese, cold cuts, sliced pickles, pickled beets, pretzels, and a special peanut butter spread, sweetened with molasses.
- 9. Canning is an important part of the Amish home economy. Their gardens provide them with plenty of produce options for canning. The canning process helps keep fruits and vegetables throughout the winter. They can even can some meats.
For more recipes like the ones above, try our collection, 30 Good Old Recipes from Grandma's Kitchen
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
This recipe for Sour Cream Hash Brown Bake is the picture of comfort. Made with creamy cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and shredded… Continue reading: "Sour Cream Hash Brown Bakevideocam"
- 42 Poor Man Meals
- Cheap easy meals don't come more tasty than this one. Share it with your family tonight!
- 22 Traditional Amish Recipes
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Amish Church Soup
- Great Depression Casserole
- Frugal Recipes: 26 Easy Ground Beef Recipes for Dinner
- Hobo Beans and Sausage Casserole
- 23 Easy Recipes Using Crescent Rolls
- Southern Fried Cabbage
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Chicken Dum Biryani
- Southern Fried Cabbage Recipe
- Traeger Beef And Mushroom Biscuit Pockets
- Traeger Grilled Buffalo Chicken Legs
- Instant Pot Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- One-pot Creamy Noodles
- Traeger Cheeseburger Meatloaf
- Traeger Grilled Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Traeger Beef Pot Pie
- Dorito Taco Salad
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes