Our 13 Best Funeral Foods for Those in Need
These comfort food recipes will help take one thing off the minds of your loved ones during a difficult time.
By: Jamie Garcia, Editor, RecipeLion
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Funeral foods are best described as easy, comfort food recipes you can make and take with you to a funeral, wake, or other gathering after someone has passed as a gesture of compassion and support. Casseroles are one of the best options out there, so we've included a wide variety. Additionally, we've included some easy-to-make sheet cakes and some other shareable dishes that are sure to help comfort those in mourning.
When someone has just lost a loved one, the last thing on their mind is food or cooking. The reality of the situation, however, is that meals are still going to come around and it's the least the rest of us can do to help take care of and support our friends and family during the first few days of any passing. Be prepared with a quick and handy list of comforting recipes that you can prepare ahead of time and take with you to share.
Please also be sure to check out these great resources below for tips on freezing food. This information will come in handy for those who want to make multiple meals at once and save and defrost them later.
We love hearing from YOU: Tell us about your favorite comforting dish below and keep the conversation going!
Table of Contents
These shareable dishes are classic recipes you'll recognize because they make an appearance at almost every potluck. You've probably even made them before. Deli salads are popular for a reason. They're easy to make, easy to share, and comforting to eat. Choose from one of the 4 below, and just keep it in the fridge till you're ready to go.
For more shareable recipes, try our Easy Potluck Recipes: 14 Potluck Ideas For Sides, Desserts and More Free eCookbook
We can't say enough good things about casseroles! They're just so easy to make and the possibilities are endless. The casseroles below are handpicked favorites of ours, because of their ability to put a smile on our faces and our... is it possible for a stomach to smile? If so, we're pretty sure these comforting casseroles could do the job. Make a tough time easier to get through with family, friends, and funeral foods like these.
You might also enjoy this collection: Church Potluck Dishes: 15 Best Casserole Recipes for a Crowd
Make and Take Desserts
Desserts may not be the first thing people think to make for their grieving loved ones, but they shouldn't be overlooked. While the casseroles and deli salads above are more substantial, desserts are very comforting too! Some people crave savory dishes, some crave sweets. For the latter, we've collected a few of our favorite, easy dessert recipes that we hope will bring comfort in trying times.
For more make-ahead casserole ideas, check out the full collection: Our Very Best Casserole Recipes
How to Freeze Food Properly and Other Food Freezing Tips
What is the most comforting dish you've ever made or eaten?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 9 Jiffy Cornbread Recipes You'll Love
- 365 Easy Dinner Recipes for Every Day of the Year
- Dump and Go Dinners: 22 Easy Weeknight Dinner Ideas + 4 Bonus Dump Desserts
- Our 13 Best Funeral Foods for Those in Need
- 24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes
- 31 Easy Dinner Recipes for March
- 30 Charming Old Fashioned Recipes
- 17 Old West Cowboy Recipes
- 22 Old Fashioned Recipes from the 1950s
- The Best Dinner Recipes, Delicious Desserts & More: 20 Must-Have Recipes
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Cheddar, Chive and Bacon Biscuits
- Pico De Gallo
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
- Perfectly Crispy Baked Bacon
- Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
- Strawberry Vanilla Breakfast Milkshake
- Paleo Lemon Curd
- Restaurant Style Dal Makhani
- Coconut Rice Pudding
- Spinach & Cheese Stuffed Bread