24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes
By: Jamie Garcia, Editor, RecipeLion
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The Great Depression caused many hardships, but the cuisine of the time certainly didn't suffer! These 24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes are proof that food from the 1930s is worth bringing back again. People at the time were forced to discover creative ways to use food efficiently, resulting in some very delicious and cheap dishes. Rice, beans, and cheese were major sources of protein, instead of meat, which was much more expensive. Of course, people didn't go entirely without meat. Oftentimes substitutes for popular meats like spam or bologna were used instead. When families did get their hands on their favorite meats, it was a real treat, and they would prepare the meat extraordinarily well.
Check out the video below for a delicious applesauce cake dessert that would have been a true hit and classic great depression recipe!
Side Dish Ideas
These side dishes are packed with protein and flavor, so your whole family will love eating them. You could even serve some of the recipes as a hearty lunch, like Amish Church Soup and Hungry Hobo Beans. Make sure to try Grandma's Zucchini Squares, too - they're a great way to use up your leftover zucchini, and they serve as both the vegetable and the bread components of your dinner.
For more vintage recipes you'll remember, try our collection: 30 Charming Old Fashioned Recipes
Old-Fashioned Dinner Recipes
These are some of the best frugal dinner recipes out there. All of the dishes are filling, easy to make, and delicious. Even if they use meat, it's in the most efficient way. You'll love eating these classic meals after a long day. Your family will ask for them again and again!
Traditional Dessert Recipes
I have a well-kept secret for you: the best Depression-era recipes are actually the desserts. Egg-less cakes are the big draw of this era (don't worry - they taste fantastic without eggs!). But, the 1930s Banana Cake is definitely the best, with mashed bananas and buttermilk in the recipe to make the cake ultra moist.
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Our 13 Best Funeral Foods for Those in Need
- 22 Old Fashioned Recipes from the 1950s
- 24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes
- Summer Potluck Challenge
- Dump and Go Dinners: 22 Easy Weeknight Dinner Ideas + 4 Bonus Dump Desserts
- 9 Jiffy Cornbread Recipes You'll Love
- 17 Old West Cowboy Recipes
- The Best Dinner Recipes, Delicious Desserts & More: 20 Must-Have Recipes
- 50 Favorite American Recipes by State Free eCookbook
- Vintage Meals from Yesteryear: 22 Old-Fashioned Recipes
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Hammer Stahl
- New West Knifeworks
- 20-Minute Garlic and Herb Tomato Sauce
- 31 Easy Dinner Recipes for August
- Traegar Grilled Chicken
- Red, White & Blue Fro-Yo Pops
- Slow Cooker Apple Citrus Hot Cider
- No Bake Cherry Cheesecake Fluff Pie
- How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
- Raspberry Greek Yogurt Ice Cream