24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes
By: Jamie Garcia, Editor, RecipeLion
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The Great Depression caused many hardships, but the cuisine of the time certainly didn't suffer! These 24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes are proof that food from the 1930s is worth bringing back again. People at the time were forced to discover creative ways to use food efficiently, resulting in some very delicious and cheap dishes. Rice, beans, and cheese were major sources of protein, instead of meat, which was much more expensive. Of course, people didn't go entirely without meat. Oftentimes substitutes for popular meats like spam or bologna were used instead. When families did get their hands on their favorite meats, it was a real treat, and they would prepare the meat extraordinarily well.
Side Dish Ideas
These side dishes are packed with protein and flavor, so your whole family will love eating them. You could even serve some of the recipes as a hearty lunch, like Amish Church Soup and Hungry Hobo Beans. Make sure to try Grandma's Zucchini Squares, too - they're a great way to use up your leftover zucchini, and they serve as both the vegetable and the bread components of your dinner.
For more vintage recipes you'll remember, try our collection: 30 Charming Old Fashioned Recipes
Old-Fashioned Dinner Recipes
These are some of the best frugal dinner recipes out there. All of the dishes are filling, easy to make, and delicious. Even if they use meat, it's in the most efficient way. You'll love eating these classic meals after a long day. Your family will ask for them again and again!
Love vintage dessert recipes? Take a look at our round-up of
Traditional Dessert Recipes
I have a well-kept secret for you: the best Depression-era recipes are actually the desserts. Egg-less cakes are the big draw of this era (don't worry - they taste fantastic without eggs!). But, the 1930s Banana Cake is definitely the best, with mashed bananas and buttermilk in the recipe to make the cake ultra moist.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 9 Jiffy Cornbread Recipes You'll Love
- 365 Easy Dinner Recipes for Every Day of the Year
- 24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes
- Dump and Go Dinners: 22 Easy Weeknight Dinner Ideas + 4 Bonus Dump Desserts
- The Best Dinner Recipes, Delicious Desserts & More: 20 Must-Have Recipes
- Our 13 Best Funeral Foods for Those in Need
- 22 Old Fashioned Recipes from the 1950s
- 30 Easy Dinner Recipes for April
- 17 Old West Cowboy Recipes
- 17 Great On-the-Go Recipes for a Potluck
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- 15 Paula Deen-Inspired Recipes
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Shrimp Scampi with Gnocchi and Asparagus
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pineapple Pulled Pork
- Baked Ham and Cheese Omelet
- Tomorrow's Kitchen
- Lightened Up Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
- Barbacoa Beef and Egg Skillet Bake
- Perfect Vegetarian Pizza from Scratch