21 Vintage Desserts To Take You Back In Time
Travel back to the good old days with recipes just like Grandma used to make!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
There's nothing better than classic dessert recipes that just don't fade. We've dusted off our best recipes for 21 Vintage Desserts To Take You Back In Time. From vintage pies to Grandma's best cookie and cake recipes, these old-fashioned recipes for dessert will make you longer for yesteryear. Although today's confections are sure to satisfy a sweet tooth, sometimes there's nothing better than reverting back to the simple classics. What's even better, vintage recipes are often some of the easiest and quickest of the bunch, so you can serve your old favorites to your family or friends in a flash. We know you'll love these impeccable desserts.
Table of Contents
For more classic recipes you'll love try, 15 of Grandma's Best Dessert Recipes
Old-Fashioned Pie Recipes
- Old-Fashioned Egg Custard PieThis Old-Fashioned Egg Custard Pie is a classic vintage pie recipe that will surely become one of your new favorite desserts in no time. This pie can be served warm or chilled depending on your preferences and is an ideal treat for any special occasion. Made with the simplest of ingredients, this pie comes together effortlessly. If you love the classic taste of the custards of your childhood, this pie will bring those memories flooding back with just one bite. Make Grandma proud and serve this pie at the next family gathering!
- Vintage Strawberry Sponge PieVintage Strawberry Sponge Pie is a unique summer dessert that recalls classic summer pie recipes. "What is a sponge pie?" you might ask. Well, it's exactly what it sounds like - a sponge cake consistency on top with pie filling on the bottom. You could make this pie with any berry (or even peaches), but strawberries are the best filling to use to celebrate the summer season. The filling isn't runny, so the crust stays crisp. This means that the pie holds together very well. You'll be amazed by the success of this forgotten fresh strawberry pie recipe when you bring it back at your next family dinner.
- Grasshopper PieIf you’re a fan of the retro cocktail (and even if you’re not), then you’ll love this recipe for grasshopper pie. Creamy, cool, and an eye-catching shade of mint green, this delightful treat is perfect for any occasion. This vintage dessert recipe will please everyone, whether they're fans of old fashioned recipes or not!
- Old-Fashioned Southern Chess PieThis Civil War Era Custard Pie is a variation of the classic Southern chess pie recipe. It is made up of dates, raisins, and pecans, spices, and rich and creamy custard. It dates back to the late 19th century making it a forgotten treasure among modern day pies. This is a great recipe to try out around the holidays when you're already sure to be making plenty of other decadent treats. It's always a nice time of year to try new pie recipes and see what your friends and family like best. This pie has a similar profile to a pecan pie, but the focus is less on the pecans and more on the custard, which we certainly aren't complaining about!
- Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Raisin PieNostalgic desserts, like this Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Raisin Pie, may take you back to a simpler time. This classic sour cream raisin pie will remind you of those amazingly-decadent desserts Grandma used to make. This easy sour cream raisin pie recipe is made with sour cream, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts and whipped cream. With ingredients this delicious, you may not be able to wait till after dinner to sneak a bite!
- Best Ever Chocolate PieBest Ever Chocolate Pie is a classic pie recipe that's made from scratch. But, don't worry - it's not difficult! You'll soon have the best chocolate pie you've ever tasted ready for your next potluck or large dinner. The best part of this recipe is the rich, creamy consistency of the chocolate filling. Your taste buds will thank you for such a decadent dessert. Of course, you can top the pie with whipped topping if you want to cut the richness of the chocolate. Put chocolate shavings on top as well, and your pie will look down-right professional!
- Old Fashioned Funeral PieMade year round, this classic Amish dish is loaded with sweet flavors that work perfectly together. Made with cinnamon, all spice and a handful of raisins, Old Fashioned Funeral Pie is rich and moist, and sure to be a hit with the whole family. Additionally, this recipe calls for orange juice, brown sugar, and chopped walnuts, which makes this recipe something quite special. Make this pie for the holidays or another special occasion where you'd bring food, and it's sure to be a hit. There's nothing to mourn here - not only is this pie an old family favorite, it also uses ingredients you probably already have on hand. Homemade pie recipes don't come any easier than this.
Vintage Recipes for Cakes and Trifle
- Vintage Holiday Watergate CakeAfter make this Vintage Holiday Watergate Cake, it's sure to stay in your family for years. This easy yellow cake is topped with creamy pistachio frosting and chopped walnuts for texture. Revisit this cake year after year with this easy recipe! There's something about pistachio flavored desserts that just screams "old-fashioned." This recipe is reminiscent of the comforting desserts your Grandma would make when you'd come over for the holidays and we can't wait for you share it with your own grandkids! Pistachio frosting is really what takes this recipe above and beyond. This vintage-style cake is perfect for the holidays!
- Southern Vintage Pecan CakeThis Southern Vintage Pecan Cake is a treat that is sure to have your mouth watering. If you are all about those classic southern recipes that truly take the cake (get it) for being delicious, then you will love this vintage cake recipe. Plus, this is a fantastic dessert to serve all year round whether it is for the holidays or for a simple get together. You can easily whip up this cake and have everyone thinking it was store bought because it will turn out that good!
- Jumpin' Jimmy Coffee CakeJumpin' Jimmy Coffee Cake is a coffee lover's dream come true. This easy coffee cake recipe is the best of both worlds chocolate and coffee, so you don't have to choose just one vice. Grandma knows comfort food best, so you know this cake is bound to be delicious! The batter is made with coffee and the glaze is made with espresso powder, so you get a double helping of caffeine and chocolate in every bite. Serve this recipe at your next luncheon, and you will be the hit of the party.
- Vintage CakeThis layered white cake with cream cheese frosting would be delicious on its own, but a secret hidden layer takes it right over the top. Vintage Cake is a cake mix recipe for fluffy, moist white cake sitting atop a layer of decadent brownies soaked in a chocolate sauce. The combination of fluffy cake with rich chocolate in this cake will have everyone going back for seconds. Plus, it uses cake mix and brownie mix for shortcut.
- Made Famous by the 50s CakeThis delicious hot milk sponge cake was made famous in the 1950s, but is still completely delicious now. Hot milk might not sound the most appealing to you on first read, but trust us, this is one cake recipe you won't soon forget. Garnished with strawberries and powdered sugar, this cake is elegant and sophisticated enough for tea with your book club, or served at a holiday party. It's a light and fresh cake recipe that tastes divine any way you slice it. We love this recipe for Mother's day or Easter brunch, but it's versatile to eat all year round.
- Sixties Fruit Cocktail CakeIn the 1950's and 60's, cakes using canned fruit were a popular dessert to make for parties or family dinner. This Sixties Fruit Cocktail Cake is a delicious old fashioned dessert recipe using fruit cocktail, walnuts, and a coconut topping. The cake is deliciously moist and has the sweet taste of fruit and brown sugar. If you love easy cake recipes, you'll definitely want to keep this one at the top of your recipe box.
- Little Old Lady Lemon Pound CakeAdding a touch of lemon to a classic pound cake recipe gives it that extra something that will make everyone want a second piece. Little Old Lady Lemon Pound Cake is an old-fashioned recipe for a cake that's full of lemon flavor with just the right amount of sweetness. Pound cakes are great to serve at a church supper, family dinner, or any occasion. Plus, this recipe uses a no muss, no fuss batter.
- Classic Tandy CakeSometimes simple recipes are the best, and that's definitely the case with this delicious old fashioned tandy cake recipe. This tasty vintage cake is light and fluffy, slathered with a layer of peanut butter and chocolate. It's all of your favorite flavors from yesteryear in one delicious snack cake.
- Raspberry Jelly RollA well-made raspberry jelly roll is one of the prettiest desserts to serve your dinner guests. That lovely ribbon of fruit filling looks like it would take a professional pastry chef to master, but it’s actually easy to do! With this easy jelly roll recipe, you can learn how to make this retro cake in no time at all.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownie Trifle Delight"Simple trifle. 4 major ingredients. Layer them up and you get this very fluffy, dreamy Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownie Trifle Delight! It’s delectably overloaded with fresh, juicy strawberries, fresh whipped cream, fudgy chocolate brownies and Magic Shell Chocolate Topping. This dessert will go fast and furious."
Grandma's All-Time Favorite Dessert Recipes
- Grandma's Sour Cream Sugar Cookies"These Sour Cream Sugar Cookies are soft and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness — they’re perfect with or without frosting and make a great freezer-friendly holiday cookie! These Sour Cream Cookies are not the difficult, finnicky cookies that require hours of rolling, cutting, baking, and decorating. They are a soft sugar cookie made with sour cream, and they have a fluffy, delicate texture that I find much more appealing. A simple colored frosting and maybe a few sprinkles is really all they need to make them extra special for Christmas, though they are easy enough to make for any occasion…. Or no occasion. Sometimes you just need a cookie!"
- Grandma Polly's Pink Stuff, otherwise known as a raspberry Jello mold, is a retro recipe that will take you back in time when you taste it. A family favorite dessert recipe, this simple to prepare Jello dessert has just four simple ingredients in it. The crushed pineapple lends a tropical taste to this yummy Jello mold and the Cool Whip adds a wonderfully creamy texture. Try this simple dessert recipe with Jello and you'll see just how delicious Polly's Pink Stuff can be!
- Old Fashioned Southern TeacakesNot quite a cake, and not quite a cookie - this recipe is the perfect in-between. Old Fashioned Southern Teacakes are slightly sweet and pair perfectly with milk or coffee. If you're from the South, biting into a teacake may send you back to when your grandma used to make them. This old fashioned recipe has been around long enough to make sure it's perfect. Make the dough at night to allow it to chill overnight, then bake the teacakes to enjoy in the morning.
- Creamsicle Jell-O MoldThere’s something about orange creamsicle flavor that feels like hanging out with your favorite people. Whether it’s getting dreamsicle dessert pops from the ice cream truck or enjoying a creamsicle jello mold after dinner with friends, this flavor just says, “it’s a good night.” It’s easy to have a good night – or afternoon – with this retro dessert. It's super easy to make, and it's one of our favorite vintage Jello recipes.
Head back in time and rediscover some of the best classic dishes from decades past. In this collection of Vintage Recipes from Yesteryear, you'll find 22 Old Fashioned Meals that are sure to please your modern family.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Copycat Old Spaghetti Factory Dressing is a super simple salad dressing recipe that you may already love! If you've never tried their… Continue reading: "Copycat Old Spaghetti Factory Dressingvideocam"
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Chicken And Broccoli Crescent Braid
- Smothered Pork Chops
- Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- Banana Milk
- Bacon Apple Pecan Stuffed French Toast
- Red Curry Potato Leek Soup
- Raspberry Protein Oatmeal Muffins Recipe
- Sheet Pan Roasted Red Pepper Chicken And Vegetables
- Healthy Kale And Sausage Soup With Cauliflower Rice (whole30 And Paleo)
- Healthy Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes