Old Timey Country Potato Soup
Indulge in the comforts of old-fashioned cooking with this classic recipe for Old Timey Country Potato Soup. This easy potato soup recipe will give you something delicious and hearty to serve anytime you're debating over what to put on the dinner table. Sometimes a basic potato soup recipe can be the best. Why mess with something classic and comforting when it's already so good? Just a few ingredients go into this soup, and yet, it's one of the best recipes out there. Settle in for a cozy night at home with this satisfying meal.
- If you wish to thicken the soup further, add 2 - 3 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes and continue to cook 10 more minutes.
- If you choose milk instead of half-and-half, keep the heat down very low so that the milk does not curdle as it heats.
For even more takes on this classic recipe, try our collection, 17 Warm & Comforting Potato Soup Recipes.
Cooking Time40 min
- 3 - 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced (4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups warm, half-and-half or milk
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Place potatoes into a large saucepan and add onion, spices and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes until potatoes are tender. Mash slightly with a potato masher - you want some chunks, but the partial mashing will thicken the soup.
- Lower heat to low, add the half-and-half and parsley and cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. (see note)
- Serve with the cheese, allowing diners to add a spoonful on top of each bowl as desired.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Soups"
Warm up with one of our favorite easy soup recipes. From chicken soup to vegetable soup, you'll stay cozy with these homemade soup recipes. Make one of these easy healthy recipes for dinner tonight!