Low Carb Stuffing
Low Carb Stuffing is a great, healthy take on the traditional turkey stuffing recipe, made possible with low-carb bread. It's a Thanksgiving stuffing recipe everyone is sure to enjoy!
You might choose not to stuff the turkey if you like the crispiness of oven stuffing. This holds up nicely both inside the turkey or outside.
Learn more about and see more recipes from Diabetesdaily.com/recipes/ at our blog, starting with this amazing Curried Butternut Squash Soup.
Cooking Time1 hr
- 12 slices low-carb white or wheat bread, lightly toasted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Toast the bread and let it sit out overnight, until hard.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a medium size baking dish.
- Crush the bread into crumbs with a rolling pin and place the crumbs in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and celery and slowly cook until the onion starts to turn translucent and the celery softens.
- Remove from heat and drain out the excess liquid.
- Mix the eggs and chicken broth into the bread crumbs.
- The mixture should be moist, but not too mushy.
- Use water, if necessary, to attain desired consistency.
- Mix in the onion, celery, sage, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Press the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the top is brown and crisp.