Quick Chicken Tortilla Soup
This easy tortilla soup recipe is a definite crowd-pleaser. Like the name implies, Quick Chicken Tortilla Soup is ready to eat in 30 minutes or less. This recipe for tortilla soup is a perfect one to keep in mind for days when you don't feel like cooking. It's an easy dinner recipe that's also hearty and delicious. The spices of the jalapeno and cumin go wonderfully with the mild avocado and sour cream. Top this delicious Mexican soup with shredded cheese and cilantro for a perfect finish. This might just become your new favorite recipe for tortilla soup!
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time20 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 1 bag of frozen corn (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Mexican-style chili powder
- teaspoon Juice from one lime
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla strips (prepackaged in the salad toppings aisle or your favorite tortilla chips)
- Diced avocado, for serving
- Shredded cheese, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
For more Mexican-inspired recipes, try these31 Easy Mexican Recipes
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onion, and jalapeno. Stir for about five minutes, until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
Add broth, tomatoes, beans, chicken, lime juice, corn and seasonings. Stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil for about 5-10 minutes. Add water if the soup is not thin enough for your liking, and return to a boil.
Remove from the heat and add chopped cilantro.
Ladle soup into a bowl and top with tortilla strips. Garnish with avocado, cheese and sour cream. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with a lime wedge, if desired.
Check out these other amazing Mexican recipes:"27 Simple Mexican Recipes" eCookbook
What toppings do you put on your tortilla soup? Let us know in the comments below!
Read NextOld-Fashioned Potato Soup