The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
Do You Peel Zucchini?
For all the zucchini-lovers out there, here's how to prepare zucchini!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
There's no denying that zucchini recipes have been incredibly popular lately! From zucchini bread to zucchini casserole to zucchini pasta (also known as zoodles), zucchini can be used in so many creative ways.
So, you might be ready to try your hand at making some of these zucchini recipes! However, despite zucchini's popularity, it's still an unusual ingredient to many chefs. You may be asking yourself, "Do you peel zucchini?" "Do you peel zucchini before frying it?" "How do you cook zucchini, anyway?"
Luckily, this easy cooking how-to will teach you the ropes of how to cook zucchini. Questions like "Do you peel zucchini?" will be answered alongside a number of others, finished off with our very best zucchini recipes here at RecipeLion.com. Enjoy!
So, do you peel zucchini?
Here's a fun zucchini fact! The flesh of the zucchini is actually about 95% water. That means that essentially all of the nutrients and vitamins in this tasty green vegetable are found in the skin.
Additionally, because the flesh itself is actually so watery, zucchini runs the risk of falling to mush if it is cooked with the peel removed.
For these reasons, we recommend that you do not peel zucchinis before cooking them, whether roasting, frying, or otherwise. It's important to note, however, that sometimes zucchinis in the store are sold "waxed," with the skin completely covered in wax. This should definitely be washed off before cooking.
As with all fruits and vegetables, be sure to wash your zucchini thoroughly before cooking and eating. In addition to wax, zucchini skin can have pesticides on it if you haven't purchased organic. You'll want to wash all of that off.
Check out this video for one of our all-time favorite zucchini recipes (no peeling required!).
Do you peel zucchini before baking?
If the nutrition factor doesn't bother you, then you actually can peel zucchinis before turning them into bread, muffins, or cakes! After all, you're going to have to mash the vegetable into a dough anyway, so the mushiness certainly is not a problem.
The real question here is a matter of taste. Zucchini skin can be delicious in baked goods. However, if you're a person who's bothered by the texture of, say, carrot shreds in carrot cake, then you might want to peel beforehand. It's up to you.
How to Peel Zucchini
If you do opt to peel, learning how to peel zucchini is incredibly simple.
First, cut about a half-inch off the ends of the zucchini, just like as if you were cutting up an onion.
Next, take a vegetable peeler and draw it down the length of the zucchini until all the green is gone. This is pretty much identical to peeling potatoes, apples, etc.. You should end up with plenty of long, green strips of zucchini peel. It's that simple!
Best Zucchini Recipes
Now that you've got a few tips on how to peel zucchini, check out our best easy zucchini recipes! Most recipes you come across will specify whether the zucchini should be peeled or not,
- Skip the peeling step with this weeknight winner: Chicken Penne Casserole with Corn and Zucchini
- Try this cute way to serve zucchini: Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Cheese & Garlic
- You've heard of zucchini bread, but have you heard of zucchini chocolate cake? Try this one: Chocolate Zucchini Bundt
- Try this delicous twist on a classic zucchini recipe: Zucchini Banana Bars with Cinnamon Glaze
- Unpeeled zucchini holds up well to deep frying (and it tastes delicious). Try it here: Deep Fried Zucchini
We hope you enjoy all of these delicious ways to eat zucchini!
What's your favorite way to eat zucchini?
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Baked Potato Breakfast Casserole may soon become your newest go-to casserole recipe. Why? Because it's an easy egg casserole you just… Continue reading: "Baked Potato Breakfast Casserolevideocam"
- Crunchwrap Supreme
- How to Use Up Eggs: 50+ Recipes and Smart Ideas
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- Is White Vinegar the Same as White Wine Vinegar?
- Do You Peel Zucchini?
- How Much Juice is in a Lemon? Get Easy Conversions for Your Recipe!
- Can You Freeze Shredded Cabbage for Coleslaw?
- What Are the Different Types of Ground Beef?
- How to Reheat Meatloaf
- How to Store Cut Onions
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes