The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
Easy Peasy (You Know the Rest): Convert Lemons into Juice
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
How much juice is actually in a lemon?
Glad someone finally asked! One large lemon yields about 3 tablespoons of juice.
But there's a little more to it than that.
It's no surprise that the amount of juice in a lemon depends on the size of the fruit. So if you've purchased lemons that are really large, then you'll definitely get the full 3 tablespoons of juice. If you've got fruits that are slightly smaller, then you can expect to get a little less juice - about 2 tablespoons per lemon.
When you're purchasing lemons, try to buy fruit that feels heavy for its size. That will ensure that you buy juicier fruit.
Here's a handy list of some other lemon juice conversions to make cooking with lemons easier than ever!
Basic Lemon Juice Equivalents
There are a lot of ways to measure how much juice is in a lemon, and the best one for you might depend on the recipe that you're working from. Here we have some basic conversions, including how many ounces of juice in a lemon, to make your cooking life as simple as possible.
Please note that these are all US measurements.
How much juice in one lemon:
Juice in one medium lemon = 2 tablespoons = 1 fluid ounce
Juice in one large lemon = 3 tablespoons = 1.5 fluid ounces
How many lemons for 1/2 cup juice (and more):
You need 4 medium lemons or 3 large lemons to get 1/2 cup of juice (4 ounces).
You need 3 medium lemons or 2 large lemons to get 1/3 cup of juice (2.66 ounces).
You need 2 medium lemons or 1.5 large lemons to get 1/4 cup of juice (2 ounces).
The Best Way to Juice Lemons
Try this simple method for getting even more juice out of each lemon. As an added bonus, your hands won't hurt so much after trying to mash every last bit of juice out of a lemon half. Or was that just us?
- Store your lemons at room temperature.
- Fill a bowl with warm water. Drop your lemons in and let sit for 60 seconds. The warmer fruit is easier to juice.
- Cut your lemons into quarters length-wise (see above). The quarters are easier to squeeze, plus you get more juice this way.
- Squeeze your lemons over a strainer to catch seeds.
Need to juice a bunch of lemons at once? Try this smart tip from Taste of Home!
What other cooking tips would you like to see from RecipeLion?
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
If you love no bake desserts then this Chocolate Kisses Fudge is going to easily become your new favorite dessert to make. This fudge… Continue reading: "Chocolate Kisses Fudgevideocam"
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
- How to Reheat a Burrito
- How to Make Jiffy Cornbread Moist
- How to Boil Perfect Eggs
- How to Make Apple Pie Filling
- How to Make the Best Amish Pie, Plus 18 More Free Amish Recipes
- How To Make a Chipotle-Style Burrito Bowl at Home
- How to Store Cut Onions
- How to Make Sloppy Joes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Blackened Cod with Garlic Yogurt Aioli
- Minced Meat Dumplings
- Custom Boxes With logo from DnPackaging
- Ranch Beans Chili Mac
- Cabbage Salad with Teriyaki Dressing
- Autumn Harvest Pork Stew
- Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Small Batch Almond Joy Cookies
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes