The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
What Are the Different Types of Ground Beef?
Learn how to choose the right type of ground beef for the job
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Most people don’t spend a lot of time thinking about ground beef. It’s a staple after all. It’s included in so many simple classic recipes that we don’t take time to consider it in the same way we’d carefully choose what cut of steak to get for a fancy dinner.
But while there are some times when getting the quickest, easiest option is actually the best choice, that won’t always be the case. Believe it or not, there are differences between the types of ground beef. Knowing what the main types of ground beef are will help you make informed decisions about the best meat to buy, whether you’re making burgers, tacos, meatloaf, or pasta.
The four main types to consider are regular ground beef, ground chuck, ground round, and ground sirloin. These will all look quite similar in a grocery store or butcher's shop, and they may be labeled under a variety of names as well. Don't worry, though, this article will walk you through what to consider when you're choosing a type of ground beef to buy.
What to Look for When Choosing Ground Beef
Before we jump into the types of ground beef themselves, it's important to know what sets them apart. There are three primary factors you should look for:
- The cut
- The fat content
- The grade
This is partially because the cut helps determine the fat content of the beef. Higher fat content can lead to tasty, juicy, marbled meat. Leaner meat is less greasy, though, and some of the most premium cuts are lean. While more fat often means more flavor, fattier meats are not the best choice for every dish, especially if you're buying cheaper, lower-grade ground beef.
The grade of ground beef is essentially a certification of its quality. Graded beef is sold with a sticker on the front of its packaging letting you know exactly what quality of meat you'll be buying.
- Prime beef is highly marbled meat from young, well-fed cows.
- Choice beef doesn't quite match the high standards of prime beef but it's the next best choice for tender and flavorful meat.
- Select beef is leaner and less marbled than either prime or choice beef. It's still quality, but its flavor won't be up to the same level.
- Ungraded beef is perfectly fine to eat, despite how sketchy its name may make it seem. It's far from high-quality meat, though. It's most likely the generic bargain stuff you buy at grocery stores for quick, no-fuss meals.
Four Major Types of Ground Beef
Regular Ground Beef
- Cut: varies (usually brisket and shank)
- Fat content: high - 25-30%
- Cut: shoulder
- Fat content: lean - 20%
- Cut: back, rump
- Fat content: extra lean - 10-14%
- Cut: back, near hip
- Fat content: extra lean - 10%
"These are the BEST Burgers! Made with a mix of ground beef and ground pork, caramelized onions, balsamic vinegar, chili powder and more that makes them so much more flavorful than other burgers!" The Best Burgers
What Else to Look Out For
You're now armed with the knowledge to make an informed decision about what ground beef to buy, but there are a few more things to keep in mind. For one, not every store and butcher shop will label their meat the same way. If you're not sure exactly what you're looking at, your best bet is to pay attention to the fat content. It should give you a good idea of what cut you're dealing with.
And, of course, if you're looking for the highest quality meat, your best option is probably not going to be some pre-packaged bunch of hamburger patties, even if the cut is good. Getting your meat from a deli or butcher shop is the best way to ensure it will be fresh and high-quality.
Now That You Know What Ground Beef to Cook with...
33 Quick Ground Beef Recipes
What are your go-to burger toppings? Let us know in the comments below!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Decadent Cream Cheese Banana Bread is just what the name promises decadent! If you never thought to combine cream cheese and banana… Continue reading: "Decadent Cream Cheese Banana Breadvideocam"
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
- How to Halve an Egg for Baking
- Easy Freezer Cooking Tips and 21 Freezer Meal Ideas
- How to Make 30 Recipes in 30 Minutes or Less
- How Much Juice is in a Lemon? Get Easy Conversions for Your Recipe!
- Why You Should Submit Your Recipes to RecipeLion
- Is White Vinegar the Same as White Wine Vinegar?
- How to Freeze Eggs
- Can You Make Cool Whip Frosting Thicker?
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Grilled Steak Tips
- Cinnamon Rolls From Scratch
- Spinach Dip Recipe
- Chocolate Crepe Recipe
- Instant Pot Pepper Jack Mac And Cheese
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Salted Caramel Mocha Pudding Cookies
- Ninja Cupcakes
- Raspberry Cream Jello Poke Cake
- Vegan Lemon Iced Lemon Pound Cake
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes