The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
When it comes time to downsize a recipe, calculating cooking conversions can be a hassle and can even lead to error. This Recipe Converter for How to Halve and Third a Recipe is the perfect resource to keep in your kitchen. Hang this cooking conversion chart on your fridge or in a cupboard so you can easily cut a recipe in half or thirds without having to do any math at all.
How To Cut Down a Recipe: Halve & Third Ingredients
Whether a recipe makes two cakes and you only need one, or if you're cooking for two instead of four, this guide for How To Cut Down a Recipe is a life-saver. Often when downsizing a recipe, it's super easy to make a mistake and accidentally include an extra teaspoon of this or tablespoon of that. Keep this recipe converter handy for whenever you need to cut down a recipe. It's as simple as looking up the original amount then checking the correlated half or one-third amount.
Other Handy Measurement Amounts
To also aid in adjusting the amount of ingredients in recipes, these are the measurement amounts of how many teaspoons and tablespoons are in larger measuring cup amounts. This is also helpful for multiplying a recipe. For example, if you're doubling 2 tablespoons of an ingredient, it's easier to measure out 1/4 cup instead of 4 tablespoons. Turn to these measurement amounts no matter what kind of conversions you're doing.
How to Measure Dry Ingredients [video]
3 Recipes to Test Your Skills
For more kitchen tips and hacks, try The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge Free eBook
Note from the Editor
Recipe conversions are sometimes very difficult to figure out, but this chart makes it very easy! I really enjoy cooking for my family of six, and my parents and siblings always love it when I offer to cook dinner (I make them clean up, though!).
However, when I got my first apartment I learned that many of my favorite recipes to make were family-sized. All of my mom's original and adapted recipes were large enough to feed the family--and have leftovers. I get bored of eating the same thing for several days, so I was stuck. Do I never eat my childhood favorites again, or just eat it for a week at a time?
There to save the day were recipe conversions! Now, I'm terrible at math, so they were so much easier with a chart like this one. I could simply rewrite each of those recipes and still enjoy my favorite dishes, without having enough to feed a small army. Win-win!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Cake Mix Hacks: How to Improve Boxed Cake Mix
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- How to Boil Perfect Eggs
- Guide to Ground Beef: How to Buy, Store, and Cook Beef
- How to Grill the Perfect Steak
- How To Make a Chipotle-Style Burrito Bowl at Home
- How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
- Easy Freezer Cooking Tips and 21 Freezer Meal Ideas
- 21 Crowd-Pleasing Easy Potluck Recipes
- How To Use Up Lemons: 7 Luscious Lemon Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- One Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Meatball Lasagna Roll Ups
- Healthy Chocolate Muffins
- Easy Pink Champagne Cupcakes
- Vintage Applesauce Cake
- 20 Minute Magic Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Marshmallow Valentine Cake
- Easy Cake Mix Valentine's Day Cookies
- One Pot Creamy Pesto Chicken
- Love Letter Valentine's Day Cookies
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes