The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
How to Halve an Egg for Baking
This is how you divide a recipe that calls for an odd number of eggs.
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you're someone who doesn't need a whole cake, or an entire dozen cupcakes, then cutting baking recipes in half can be a great idea.
You still get a few servings of your favorite chocolate confection, and you don't have to worry about wasting food.
But things can get tricky when your favorite recipe calls for an odd number of eggs. It's easy to divide a cup of flour in half, but how do you half an egg?
Luckily, the solution might be simpler than you might think. Read on for our easy tips for halving an egg (including what to do with egg whites!).
How to Halve an Egg
- Crack your egg into a small liquid measuring cup. Discard the shell.
- Whisk the egg with a fork until the white and yolk are blended together.
- Using the measuring cup as a guide, remove half of the volume of the beaten egg to use in your recipe.
There you have it!
If you've ever wondered how to half a recipe that calls for 3 eggs, 5 eggs, or 1 egg, your problem is solved. But what about how to half a recipe that calls for an odd number of egg whites? Keep reading for our simple solution.
What is the Volume of One Large Egg?
Since we're talking about how to split an egg in a recipe, it makes sense to understand how much volume is actually in the average egg!
On average, one egg contains 2 tablespoons of egg white and 1 tablespoon of egg yolk.
So, the total volume of egg is usually around 3 tablespoons, or 1/4 cup. These measurements can be useful if you are trying to divide an egg white or an egg yolk. See more on that below!
How to Halve an Egg White
Dividing an egg white is just as simple as dividing a whole egg. Begin by separating the egg white and egg yolk as you normally would. Then follow the steps above with the egg white only.
Save the yolk to use in scrambled eggs or another recipe. Or you can even freeze the yolks using this method.
Use half, or about 1 tablespoon, of the egg white in your recipe.
You can also use this method, and the same measurements, if you need to use half an egg yolk.
That's it! Enjoy baking up a storm knowing that your recipe conversions are accurate. Be sure to let us know in the comments if you have any other favorite baking tips and tricks!
If you find yourself with some leftover eggs, be sure to check out this article. It features tips for storing eggs, our favorite egg-heavy recipes, and more! How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
Have you ever had to make half a recipe with one egg? Tell us about it in the comments!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
This Fully Loaded Chicken Potato Bake recipe is a super easy casserole recipe that will please your family any night of the week. This… Continue reading: "Fully Loaded Chicken and Potato Bakevideocam"
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- How to Make Jiffy Cornbread Moist
- How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
- How to Boil Perfect Eggs
- What are Funeral Potatoes?
- How to Freeze Eggs
- What is a Peanut Pumpkin?
- 21 Crowd-Pleasing Easy Potluck Recipes
- How to Drain Ground Beef
- How to Make Apple Pie Filling
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Pasta
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apple
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Fried Spanish Tomatoes in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Baked Potato on the Log Burner
- Pasta Alla Norma (Sicilian Eggplant And Tomato Pasta)
- Peppermint Dipped OREOS
- Breakfast Sliders
- Tic Tac Toe Rice Krispie Treats
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes