The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
How to Make Half and Half
Make this easy half and half substitute using ingredients you already have.
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
It’s always good to have a backup plan when it comes to food. We’ve all been halfway through a recipe and then realized that we’re missing an ingredient. Even worse, we’ve all woken up one morning to realize that there’s no half and half for our coffee!
The good news is that it’s easy to learn how to make half and half using ingredients you already have on hand. Try our simple recipe for homemade half and half, and you’ll never have to worry about running out again!
How to Make Half and Half from Heavy Cream and Milk
Making your own half and half is as easy as combining heavy cream and milk.
Combine 1 part heavy cream to 1 part milk to make an easy substitute for half and half.
Commercially produced half and half contains 10.5%-18% fat. So, combining cream (30%-36% fat) and milk (0%-3% fat) will get you pretty close to this target. Heavy cream does contain more fat than whipping cream (36% and 30%, respectively), so keep that in mind when making your mixture.
You can use this half and half substitute in your morning coffee or for baking. It’s very versatile!
How to Make Half and Half from Milk and Butter
This might sound gross, but it’s perfect for baking recipes!
Combine 1 Tbsp of melted unsalted butter with enough milk to equal 1 cup.
Use this substitute when you’re baking, but avoid using it for recipes like ice cream. It’s also not an ideal addition for your morning coffee (unless you’re into that kind of thing).
Did you know that sweetened condensed milk is super easy to make at home? Whip up a bit of homemade sweetened condensed milk at the drop of a hat with this easy video. How to Make Sweetened Condensed Milk
Can you substitute milk for half and half?
It depends on what you’re making. Milk will be fine for drinks like hot cocoa or fancy coffee drinks. Same goes for gravy or other sauces, mashed potatoes, most casseroles, etc. Expect the finished product to be less rich and creamy, but it should turn out fine.
Baked goods and desserts are more tricky. The amount of fat in your liquid can have a big effect on the finished product, so it’s unwise to tamper much with the recipe. For things like cakes and quick breads, use one of our suggested substitutes (or the real thing). For ice cream or other recipes where the half and half is whipped, use our recipe with heavy cream and milk or the real thing.
Healthy Substitute for Half and Half
Half and half may contain more fat or calories than you’re comfortable with. In this case, you may be looking for a lighter alternative. Here are some choices that will work in different recipes:
Dairy Milk - Coffee/cocoa drinks, casseroles, gravy, soups
Non-Dairy Milk (Almond milk, Soy milk, etc.) - Coffee/cocoa drinks
Evaporated Milk - Substitute in a 1:1 ratio in baked goods or even in soups
Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt - Add to soups or sauces a few spoonfuls at a time until desired richness is achieved; it’s best to add this at the end, as high heat can cause yogurt to separate!
The next time you're making a recipe with buttermilk, save time and make your own with ingredients you might already have on hand! Homemade Buttermilk Substitute
Do you keep half and half on hand always? Or do you make your own half and half? Let us know in the comments below!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
- How Much Juice is in a Lemon? Get Easy Conversions for Your Recipe!
- Is White Vinegar the Same as White Wine Vinegar?
- Can You Make Cool Whip Frosting Thicker?
- Do You Peel Zucchini?
- Can You Freeze Shredded Cabbage for Coleslaw?
- How to Freeze Eggs
- How to Make Jiffy Cornbread Moist
- How to Boil Perfect Eggs
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- One Jar Of Strawberry Jam No Pectin
- Pork Tamale Casserole Authentic Taste No Husk
- Instant Pot Meatballs Soup
- Paglia E Fieno Pasta Dinner
- Keto No Noodles Meat Lasagna
- Peach Smoothie
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No Churn Butterbeer Ice Cream
- Smoked Pork Chops
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes