Guinness beer chili is a super comforting recipe that will warm you up and keep you satisfied!
We love this easy chili recipe for two reasons. It's a simple recipe that is ready quick, and it's made with beer for a unique flavor you just can't beat. Guinness chili is filled with hearty ingredients and bold flavors and is perfect for a casual dinner or a large party!
This is a very simple recipe for chili; all the magic happens in the simmering! Create a hearty, complex, flavor with such spices as cumin, cinnamon, and chili powder. Bring a little sweetness to the mix with brown sugar. Beans, ground beef, and of course, Guinness are added for protein and even more flavor!
Top your bowls with shredded cheese, green onion and sour cream to complete your meal.
Consider pairing this Irish classic with:
Preparation Time20 min
Cooking Time50 min
One Pot MealYes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (11-ounce) bottles Guinness™ stout
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 pinch brown sugar
For more recipes like this one, check out our cookbook! Homemade Soup Recipes: 103 Easy Recipes for Soups, Stews, Chilis, and Chowders Everyone Will Love
Guinness Chili Recipe
In a large pot over medium-high heat, add oil and let heat until shimmering. Then add ground beef and brown well. Cook for 6-7 minutes until meat is well browned.
Add onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne powder, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until veggies soften, 2-3 minutes.
Add Guinness™ beer to the pot along with diced tomatoes and tomato juices from the can. Bring to a slight simmer. Cover chili and simmer for 30-45 minutes until beef is very tender.
Add drained beans to the pot and cook for a few more minutes. Add a pinch of brown sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keep chili warm over low heat and serve chili in big bowls garnished with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, and fresh chives.
Cooking with Guinness - Tips from an Expert
Cooking with Guinness is a tasty way to work your favorite brew into amazing dishes! It makes an awesome substitute for any recipe that calls for beer and can even replace soy sauce. Check out this quote from Guinness Executive Chef, Justin O'Connor
When you cook a Guinness, the alcohol tones down to a sweet sugar, but then you have the bitterness of the hops, so it's a sweet and sharp balance. The best of both worlds, but not too overpowering. When you're cooking with any other beer, the lingering taste just doesn't last with an ale. But Guinness gives it that body. Toward the end of cooking, I add a little bit and it just brings everything back to life.
Source: Tips from Guinness Head Chef On How to Cook with the Irish Brew for St. Patrick's Day
"Lovely Day for a Guinness" Recipes
Whether you're looking to add some foodie fun to a St. Patrick's Day dinner or just love cooking with beer, these Guinness-based recipes are sure to do the trick.
1. Guinness-Braised Oxtail - A Trinidad meets Dublin combo that's actually quite yummy.
2. Bacon, Beer and Cheese Sloppy Joes - Add an Irish twist to a popular American meal.
3. Mint Chocolate Guinness Brownies - For your sweet tooth!
4. Guinness Potatoes Au Gratin - The blogger reccomends topping this potato dish with some soda bread crumbs.
5. Hearty Beef and Guinness Stew - Savory and filling!
6. Hearty Guinness Beef Pot Pie - This slow cooked beef stew is covered by a blanket of flaky, buttery, soft puff pastry crust.
7. Guinness Beef Stew - Easy to make in your dutch oven or slow cooker.
8. Guinness Flank Steak Marinade - Simply mouth-watering!
9. Quick and Easy Guinness Soup - Served with a thick slice of garlic bread and melted Irish cheddar cheese.
10. PICTURED Guinness Onion Soup
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Chili"
Round up the cowboys and serve them a hearty bowl of chili. Nothing soothes stomach pains like our great chili recipes. Be it chicken chili, vegetarian chili, turkey chili, while chili or black bean chili, any homemade chili will have them full.