16 Old-Fashioned Recipes Through The Decades
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We love old-fashioned recipes for so many reasons. They’re often simple, comforting and timelessly delicious. Today we’re breaking down our favorite old-fashioned recipes by decades! Certain decades were defined by specific food trends, so we’re collecting all the classics from the ’20s, all the way through the 1970s. From Great Depression recipes during the 1930s and ’40s, to retro cakes from the ’60s and ’70s, these old-fashioned recipes for dinner, dessert and appetizers will surely bring back some memories.
Browse this list of old-fashioned recipes through the decades, and be sure to comment below with the recipes that come to mind when you think of certain decades! Plus, don’t miss this list of 13 Fabulous Sweet and Savory Fondue Recipes, Plus 7 More Party Food Ideas.
Table of Contents
The prohibition-era was all about getting creative in the kitchen with Jell-O molds, fruit cocktails, and pineapple upside-down cake! From fancy Great Gatsby dining, to everyday home cooking, you may only recognize a few of the popular recipes from the 1920s. Here are a few old-fashioned recipes that have withstood the test of time and are still common today.
- Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Pineapple upside down cake was a popular dessert in the ’20s, and making in in a skillet produces one of the best versions of the cake.
- Must Have Classic Deviled Eggs
When it comes to old-fashioned recipes, deviled eggs are a classic. This easy recipe for deviled eggs is just like the one grandma used to make!
- Pink Stuff Recipe
A classic Jell-O mold recipe that looks festive and actually tastes great
During the Depression Era, family cooking was all about budget-friendly eats. These recipes from the 1930s are classic Depression era recipes that can be re-made today!
- 1930s Banana Cake
A classic banana cake recipe that often made an appearance at family dinner for dessert.
- All In One Chicken & Dumpling Supper
This simple recipe was thrown together using rations and always pleased the family.
- 24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes
Don’t miss this list of 21 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes for even more 1930s-era recipes you’ll love!
The 1940s were also all about making-do with less – which meant eggless cakes, meatless meals, and more.
- 1940s Lazy Daisy Cake
A classic coconut cake that’s super easy to make for when you’re feeling lazy.
- Party Cheese Ball
This recipe first appeared in the 1940s and continued to be popular throughout the 50s and 60s!
- Ultimate Crazy Wacky Cake
A deliciously moist cake that can be made without using eggs, milk, butter, or bowls.
The 1950s were all about elegant entertaining at dinner parties and simple, belly-filling meals at home during the week!
- Super-Easy Crab Puffs
This simple, yet elegant, appetizer would have been essential at any posh 1950’s dinner party.
- Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
The classic 50s casserole gets a modern update by utilizing a slow cooker instead of the oven.
- Homemade Candy Buttons
An essential part of any 1950s child’s diet! These are so fun to make at home with your children or grandchildren.
In the 1960s, foods like the Tunnel of Fudge Cake, kiwi fruits, and the space-age drink Tang came into popularity. These old-fashioned recipes from the 1960s are definitely still familiar to us today.
The retro recipes of the 1970s were a mix of classics from the 1960s, along with a few new food trends. There was more of an emphasis of fresh fruit in the ’70s.
- Mom's Best Tuna Melt Casserole
Tuna casseroles were an essential part of any 1970’s household dinner menu.
- Chicken & Teriyaki Pineapple Skewers
Tender chicken in a sweet and sour sauce with chunks of pineapple.
- 1970s Pineapple Dream Dessert
A creamy retro dessert that uses pineapple, Cool Whip and more!
Check Out Fabulous Sweet and Savory Fondue Recipes,
Plus 7 More Party Food Ideas Fondue became popular in the 1960s and ’70s. These are perfect for an old-fashioned fondue party.
Craving MORE Vintage Eats?
Critics are raving about cookbook author and Cutthroat Kitchen star Addie Gundry’s new cookbook Retro Recipes from the ‘50s and ‘60s!
“It takes a genuine senior citizen to recall popular foods from the 1950s and ’60s. But baby boomers’ offspring no doubt will have relished many of the recipes Gundry has collected…Most recipes are a breeze to concoct from pantry staples, but even Gundry’s simplified beef Wellington has its place for celebratory dinners.” —Mark Knoblauch, Booklist
“This collection of popular recipes from the 1950s and ’60s contains what you might expect to find in a cookbook from the time or written on weathered index cards in grandma’s recipe box…Gundry has made it easy for theme-party planners to find the necessary recipes all in one place.” —Publishers Weekly
From 1950’s casseroles and elegant hors d’oevres to more modern, adventurous dishes, this collection of vintage recipes is sure to inspire any home cook. Available NOW on Amazon and at Barnes and Noble!
What are your favorite foods from each decade?
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
Abuela's Cheesy Chile Relleno Casserole is an old family recipe that will win you over. It's made with eggs, making it perfect for the… Continue reading: "Cheesy Chile Relleno Casserolevideocam"
- Countdown to Summer Virtual Potluck 2021
- 31 Old Fashioned Recipes from the 1950s
- The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge Free eBook
- The Best Funeral Foods: 21 Easy Potluck Recipes for a Crowd
- 30 Good Old Recipes from Grandma's Kitchen
- 23 Old West Cowboy Food Recipes
- 365 Easy Dinner Recipes for Every Day of the Year
- How To Use Your Recipe Box on RecipeLion
- 24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes
- The Best Dinner Recipes, Delicious Desserts & More: 20 Must-Have Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Strawberry Cobbler
- Asian Takeout Garlic Egg Fried Rice
- Fruit Popsicles
- Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich
- Chicken Crescent Rollups
- Easy Fast Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- No Cook Ramen Pasta Salad
- Taco Stuffed Shells
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes