24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes
By: Jamie Garcia, Editor, RecipeLion
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The Great Depression caused many hardships, but the cuisine of the time certainly didn't suffer! These 24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes are proof that food from the 1930s is worth bringing back again. People at the time were forced to discover creative ways to use food efficiently, resulting in some very delicious and cheap dishes. Rice, beans, and cheese were major sources of protein, instead of meat, which was much more expensive. Of course, people didn't go entirely without meat in their Depression-era recipes. Oftentimes, substitutes for popular meats like spam or bologna were used instead. When families did get their hands on their favorite meats, it was a real treat, and they would prepare the meat extraordinarily well.
This round-up includes a wide variety of Depression-era recipes, from hobo tin foil dishes to egg-less cakes. Hearty, tasty, and cheap, these recipes are perfect for an easy family dinner. Don't worry about taking a long time to make them -- most of these recipes require minimal effort and very little time. Plus, a lot of these meal ideas are taken straight from old-fashioned kitchens, so you'll love eating foods that are exactly like the ones your grandma used to make. We were inspired by these 1930s recipes, and we hope you are too.
Need more cheap dinner recipes? Check out our free eCookbook of 27 Cheap and Easy Chicken Recipes!
24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes
Table of Contents
These side dishes are packed with protein and flavor, so your whole family will love eating them. You could even serve some of the recipes as a hearty lunch, like Amish Church Soup and Hungry Hobo Beans. Make sure to try Grandma's Zucchini Squares, too - they're a great way to use up your leftover zucchini, and they serve as both the vegetable and the bread components of your dinner.
Grandma's Zucchini Squares (shown)
Tuna Macaroni Hotdish (shown)
These are some of the best frugal dinner recipes out there. All of the dishes are filling, easy to make, and delicious. Even if they use meat, it's in the most efficient way. You'll love eating these classic meals after a long day. Your family will ask for them again and again!
Great Depression Casserole (shown)
Ham and Mashed Potato Pot Pie (shown)
Love vintage dessert recipes? Take a look at our round-up of 15 Vintage Desserts to Take You Back in Time. You will love all of them!
I have a well-kept secret for you: the best Depression-era recipes are actually the desserts. Egg-less cakes are the big draw of this era (don't worry - they taste fantastic without eggs!). But, the 1930s Banana Cake is definitely the best, with mashed bananas and buttermilk in the recipe to make the cake ultra moist.
Grandma's Great Depression Cake (shown)
1950s Hot Milk Sponge Cake (shown)
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Love these recipes? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 9 Jiffy Cornbread Recipes You'll Love
- 24 Classic Great Depression Era Recipes
- Dump and Go Dinners: 26 Easy Weeknight Dinner Ideas + Bonus Easy Dessert Recipes
- The Best Dinner Recipes, Delicious Desserts & More: 20 Must-Have Recipes
- 22 Old Fashioned Recipes from the 1950s
- The Best Funeral Foods: 18 Easy Potluck Recipes for a Crowd
- 30 Charming Old Fashioned Recipes
- "Top Rated Amish Recipes: 26 Classic, Old-Fashioned Recipes" eCookbook
- 5-Ingredient Recipes: 21 Easy Dinner Ideas with 5 Ingredients or Less Free eCookbook
- "50 Favorite American Recipes by State" eCookbook
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 18 Thanksgiving Side Dishes That Steal The Show
- 22 Easy Thanksgiving Recipes: A Traditional Thanksgiving Meal From RecipeLion
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Better Than Krispy Kreme Glazed Doughnut Bites
- Mama's Pizza Casserole
- 25 Ground Beef Casserole Recipes You'll Love
- Jiffy Cornbread Casserole
- Loaded Chili Queso Cheese Dip
- Kid Friendly Slow Cooker Pizza Soup
- Blue Q Margarita
- Vegan Christmas Gingerbread Cookies
- Coq au Vin (Chicken in Red Wine)
- Snowflake Sugar Cookies