Multi Grain Pilaf
Here's a great way to serve a healthy side dish at Thanksgiving. Multi grain pilaf is both yummy and nutritious! With tasty veggies and three different kinds of rice, you can't go wrong with this wonderful dish.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divded
- 8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms (2 to 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup long grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Holland House White Cooking Wine
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 6-quart pot. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Add brown and wild rice only. Continue to cook, stirring often, 2 minutes or until bottom of pot starts to brown.
- Stir in broth and white cooking wine. Increase heat to high; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Stir in white rice and carrots. Cover and continue to simmer 20 minutes more or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in thyme and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Serve immediately or keep warm until ready to serve.