The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
How to Chop an Onion
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
As home cooks, we often teach ourselves how to do a lot in the kitchen. Sometimes, it's nice to have a few tricks up our sleeves though, which is why we're showing you How to Chop an Onion in just a few simple steps. We've even included a helpful video that will have you chopping onions like a pro in no time. Learn how to chop an onion, so you can cut down on your prep time and look super fancy doing it. Find
You might think there's a special technique to chopping fruits and veggies that you can only acquire by going to culinary school and perfecting it over years, but this couldn't be more of a myth! You may have to practice your speed, and be careful not to cut yourself, but the general technique is so easy to learn. You'll need to make sure you have a sharp enough knife - this is the key to chopping almost anything well and with ease. A sharp knife makes all the difference, so invest wisely. Once you learn how to chop an onion properly, your life will become a lot easier because you can apply this technique to other fruits and veggies too!
For more cooking tips and tricks, check out our full collection of tutorials here.
How to Chop an Onion
Peel the onion.
Hold the knife properly. Grip the butt of the knife and let the weight of the knife do the work for you.
Use your fingers as a guide. 3 fingers; 2 behind and 1 in front. Your knuckle in front will be the guide.
Point and slice through the onion towards the root vertically. Try and get as close to the root as possible.
Next, squeeze the onion together and make two horizontal slices.
Last, cut through the onion vertically to the base of the root.
Tip: Remember, a sharp knife is key!
Looking for more how-to recipes, tips and tricks? See what else you can learn!
BONUS! Recipes using onions to try out with your new skills:
If you don't use an entire onion in your recipe, be sure to read our tips for how to store chopped onions!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Cake Mix Hacks: How to Improve Boxed Cake Mix
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- How to Boil Perfect Eggs
- Guide to Ground Beef: How to Buy, Store, and Cook Beef
- How to Grill the Perfect Steak
- How To Make a Chipotle-Style Burrito Bowl at Home
- How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
- Easy Freezer Cooking Tips and 21 Freezer Meal Ideas
- 21 Crowd-Pleasing Easy Potluck Recipes
- How To Use Up Lemons: 7 Luscious Lemon Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- One Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Meatball Lasagna Roll Ups
- Healthy Chocolate Muffins
- Easy Pink Champagne Cupcakes
- Vintage Applesauce Cake
- 20 Minute Magic Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Marshmallow Valentine Cake
- Easy Cake Mix Valentine's Day Cookies
- One Pot Creamy Pesto Chicken
- Love Letter Valentine's Day Cookies
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes