A Jad Cucumber Pickle
The meeting of Thai jalapenos and sugar creates an intriguing flavor contrast in this Southeast Asian delicacy. Cucumber pickles can be stored for up to three weeks in the refrigerator.
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 5 thangkwa (cucumber)
- 2 hom daeng (shallot), finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon nam som paep (palm sugar)
- 1 tablespoon haeo (water chestnut), finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon prik chi fa daeng (red Thai jalapenos), sliced
1. Slice the cucumber in lengthwise into four segments, then slice the pieces to sections about an eighth of an inch thick.
2. Slice the tops of the chilies (green ones can be used if red are not available, but Thais like the color contrast), tap out any loose seeds and discard, then slice the chilies across into thin rounds.
3. Slice the shallots and water chestnuts. Combine and serve. This will keep 2 or 3 weeks in a refrigerator. It is a traditional accompaniment to snacks such as spring rolls, or to barbecued foods.
Read NextSlow Cooker Saucy Asian Ribs