Slow Cooker Hearty Beef Stew
A colorful recipe that is made in the slow cooker, Slow Cooker Hearty Beef Stew will become your go-to beef stew recipe. Made with beef, carrots, onions, potatoes and peas, in a rich, flavorful gravy; every bite is simply divine. Enjoy with homemade biscuits or your favorite piece of bread and have a hearty dinner. You're not going to want to waste a single bite. Enjoy!
Preparation Time20 min
Slow Cooker Time HIGH10 hr
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 1 1/2 pound beef for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound medium potatoes, cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/4 cups Swanson Beef Broth or Swanson Beef Stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
eason the beef with black pepper. Coat the beef with 2 tablespoons flour. Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef in 2 batches and cook until it's well browned, stirring often.
Place the potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic into a 5-quart slow cooker. Top with the beef. Add 3 cups broth, Worcestershire, thyme and bay leaf.
Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 11 hours or until the beef is fork-tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
Stir the remaining flour and broth in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth. Stir the flour mixture and peas in the cooker. Increase the heat to HIGH. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.
Read NextOh My Gosh Beef Stew