Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Stew
This Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Stew is a perfectly hearty dinner option for anyone with little time to cook on weeknights. Between mixed beans, spicy sausage, an assorted mixture of vegetables and spices, and a topping of parmesan cheese, this stew will satisfy even the most stubborn appetite. You'd better plan to get out of the house while this is cooking, though, because the delicious smell in your kitchen might drive you crazy while you wait for the slow cooker to do its work.
NotesYou may also cook this recipe on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Preparation Time15 min
Cooking Time8 hr
Total TimeHalf Day
Make Ahead RecipeYes
- 3/4 pound Sweet Italian pork sausage, casing removed
- 10 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth or Swanson® Chicken Stock
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 2 Medium carrot, peeled and chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 Stalk celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces Dried pinto beans(about 3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces Dried navy beans(about 3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces Dried kidney beans (about 3/4 cup)
- 6 Sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon Grated Parmesan cheese
Cook the sausage in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.
Stir the sausage, broth, black pepper, carrots, celery, and beans in a 5-quart slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
Stir in the tomatoes. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until the beans are tender. Sprinkle with the cheese.
This is one of those slow cooker recipes that make your life a little bit easier. Assemble these Slow Cooker Baked Potato Fans in the morning and they'll be ready just in time for dinner! Small slices are cut in the top of the potatoes to allow the seasonings to soak in, making them super flavorful.Slow Cooker Baked Potato Fans