White Bean Stew
This White Bean Stew is one of the most delicious easy dinner ideas you'll ever make. Made with ground beef, Great Northern beans, tomato, onion, red pepper flakes, spinach, and Italian spices, this is one hearty stew you won't want to miss. Hearty enough to make for dinner and easy to save for meals throughout the week, this is a great meal for those who want to eat healthy without compromising on flavor. A great family meal that makes for a great way to feed your kids their veggies and protein, this is a great stew recipe you'll want to keep around.
To make in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place all ingredients into an oven-safe stockpot. Cover and bring to a boil on top of the stove. Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
To make ahead:
- Complete the cooking process as above, then cool completely (stir often and check that the center is cool) before placing into the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- To reheat, place oven-safe stockpot into a 325 degrees F oven for about 30 minutes, stirring once or twice until stew is warmed through.
For another great way to cook with beans, try this reader favorite recipe for Smoky BBQ Bean Bake.
Cooking Time40 min
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic
- 3 cups stemmed and coarsely chopped kale, chard or spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Italian dry seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 (40-ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, packed in puree, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup water
- Place a 5.2 quart stockpot over medium-high heat and crumble the ground beef into the pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. The meat may remain pink at this point but should be nicely browned on the edges and onions will have softened.
- Drain the meat mixture in a colander set over a large bowl and return drained meat to the stockpot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, adding the beans, tomatoes and water last. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve directly from the stockpot; sprinkle each serving with more chopped parsley if desired.
1. Gather your ingredients:
2. Begin by breaking up your ground beef inside your pot:
3. Brown the beef:
4. Add onions and garlic:
5. Add the red wine or sherry vinegar:
6. Cut up the whole canned tomatoes:
7. Add can with puree to beef mixture:
8. Add the white (Great Northern) beans:
9. Stir this mixture together:
10. Add parsley and your choice of greens:
11. Stir together:
12. Add salt and pepper:
13. Lastly, add 1 cup water:
14. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Enjoy!