11 Simple Zucchini Casserole Recipes
"I just don't know what to do with zucchini. It's hopeless at this point." - You, before reading this article.
By: Jamie Garcia, Editor, RecipeLion.com
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Maybe you've been in the vegetable aisle at the grocery store and you've wondered "what can I make with zucchini?" You just don't know what to do with zucchini, but you're curious what to make, which is why you're reading this page.
Zucchini casserole recipes are some of the most delicious around. This underrated vegetable makes for one of the heartiest and most delicious ways to include something healthy in your dinner casserole.
You can easily add other elements to make it more appealing to your whole family. Cheeses, bread crumbs, and even meat all taste great paired with zucchini and the right seasoning. Adding zucchini to your casseroles is the best way to get a serving of vegetables without necessarily tasting it.
While not all of us love eating our veggies, it's really not hard to do when they taste this good. For some scrumptious zucchini recipe ideas, we've included a list of our very favorite dishes in this collection, 11 Simple Zucchini Casserole Recipes.
Table of Contents
Zucchini can be sweet too! Check out these 13 Easy Zucchini Desserts
11 Simple Zucchini Casserole Recipes
- Amish Zucchini CasseroleThis easy side dish recipe is as simple as mixing the ingredients together and baking! Once it's done, you'll have a savory, soft zucchini casserole that's packed with veggies and full of flavor.
- Gooey Zucchini and Potato CasseroleWhether you love zucchini or are just trying to sneak in more vegetables, this might be the best way to enjoy the vegetable! It's an easy side dish recipe everyone is sure to love, made with hash browns, cheese, Panko bread crumbs, and more cheese.
- Easy Zucchini FrittersThis recipe is the perfect way to use up summer squash, whether you grow zucchini yourself or give into late summer zucchini sales. For a quick and easy snack or light lunch idea, try these Easy Zucchini Fritters. The combination of zucchini, onion, butter and a few other simple ingredients makes these fritters "viciously addictive."
- Baked Zucchini BitesThese Baked Zucchini Bites make a delicious snack, appetizer, or even a great lunch (if you're feeling lazy). These healthy snacks are made from a combination of zucchini, cheese, garlic, and onion. Zucchini bites are very easy to make. Also, these savory small snacks bake a muffin tin. In addition, this recipe for easy baked zucchini can be made gluten free.
- Grandma's Zucchini SquaresYou can never go wrong with an old-fashioned recipe from Grandma's recipe box. Grandma's Zucchini Squares is a recipe for quiche-like squares filled with zucchini, cheese, onion, herbs and spices. This easy zucchini bake makes an irresistibly-good brunch, breakfast, lunch or side dish. It really doesn't matter what the occasion, this recipe is sure to be a hit.
- Zucchini Cheddar Puff CasseroleFor a great summer casserole dish, try making recipes with zucchini. This tasty vegetable can bring a ton of flavor to your dinner table. One of our favorite zucchini recipes is this one for Zucchini Cheddar Puff Casserole. Made with Cheddar cheese, sour cream and bread crumbs, this is one mouthwatering dish you won't be able to resist.
- No Pasta Zucchini LasagnaNo Pasta Zucchini Lasagna is a fantastic vegetable lasagna recipe that's healthy without compromising the cheesy-tomato taste you love from the dish. Instead of using pasta in this lasagna, just use thin-sliced zucchini. It tastes wonderfully fresh and makes this a slightly lighter dish for the summertime. You really won't miss the pasta in this recipe though - the zucchini is more flavorful and adds a little crunch.
- All Star Beefy Zucchini CasseroleThis delicious zucchini casserole recipe might be your new favorite way to eat zucchini! All Star Beefy Zucchini Casserole is a creamy, cheesy casserole with ground beef, zucchini, cream of mushroom soup, and just a few other ingredients! Nothing beats a 6-ingredient easy casserole recipe that can be ready in less than 30 minutes. Soda crackers add a delicious crunch on top and Cheddar cheese makes this dinner a true crowd-pleaser.
- Wholesome Zucchini CasseroleThis Wholesome Zucchini Casserole is a great dish for those trying to eat a little healthier while still enjoying a tasty meal. This super simple casserole recipe is fresh and straightforward, bringing you nothing but goodness in each bite. Made with zucchini, broccoli, eggs, milk, red pepper flakes, and chopped onion, this casserole uses easy-to-find ingredients that won't break your budget.
- Creamy Ranch Sausage and Zucchini BakeWhether it's summer and zucchini is in season or if you just feel like a quick and easy casserole, this recipe is always a winner. Creamy Ranch Sausage and Zucchini Bake is sliced fresh zucchini and crumbled sausage mixed with a creamy ranch sauce and baked to perfection with a melted layer of cheese to top it off.
- Chicken Penne Casserole with Corn and Zucchini"This healthy Chicken Penne Casserole with Corn and Zucchini is oozing with melted cheese and a smooth, creamy sauce! It’s the perfect clean eating dinner to showcase some of summer’s best produce!"
How to Choose the Perfect Zucchini
There have been many times when I've been standing in the produce section and I only pretend that I know what I'm doing. I just don't know how to choose any ripe vegetable or fruit, let alone a zucchini. I squeeze it lightly to make sure it won't turn to goo in my hand, but beyond that, I'm clueless. So I found some answers that will help both you and me as we try to figure out how to choose the perfect zucchini.
Fun fact you may not know already: zucchini can grow up to 2 inches in length every 24 hours. That's amazing! But in this case, bigger doesn't mean better.
Large zucchini tend to be flavorless and watery with large seeds inside. Pick a zucchini that is about 6-8 inches. It'll be better if that zucchini has a vibrant color. Zucchini can be green, yellow, or white, and it doesn't matter what color it is, as long as it's vibrant. Also, look for zucchini that have a good chunk of stem still attached, because they will last longer.
How to Store Zucchini
Something everyone struggles with is how to store your vegetables so they last as long as possible. You might be going grocery shopping for the week and you won't be using your zucchini right away.
So, how do you store zucchini so it'll be fresh by the time you make one of the amazing zucchini casseroles above?
It's really simple if you want to refrigerate your zucchini. Keep your zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. It will last three to five days.
You can also freeze your zucchini if you don't need to use it within three to five days. You can chop up the zucchini and freeze it as is, but it might be worth blanching it before freezing it.
What's blanching, you ask? Basically, it's boiling the zucchini for a hot second (actually, it's about a minute). You'll deactivate the enzymes that would otherwise cause the zucchini to become mushy, discolored, and unusable in your zucchini casseroles.
Don't blanch it for too long. If you do it for more than a minute, the zucchini will be cooked too much and that will make it mushy after thawing (yuck!). You also might want to freeze it twice.
If you have the time and space in your freezer, in order to avoid your sliced zucchini freezing into one large zucchini cube, freeze the zucchini in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with a silicon baking mat. Each piece of zucchini will freeze individually instead of in an unbreakable block.
Then you can put them in a freezer bag and later, when you need your frozen zucchini, it'll be easier for you to scoop out exactly what you need. No chisel required.
Find even more cheap casserole recipes in our free eCookbook, Our Best Casserole Recipes: 19 Quick & Easy Casseroles to Try
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Jiffy Cornbread Casserole
- Bishop Byler's Easy Skillet Cheeseburger Casserole
- Slow Cooked Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Amish Country Casserole
- 25 Ground Beef Casserole Recipes You'll Love
- Mama's Pizza Casserole
- Loaded Reuben Casserole
- John Wayne's Famous Dish
- "When The Bishop Calls" Casserole
- No Peeking Allowed Beef Casserole
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes