Spiced Wild Rice Pilaf with Butternut Squash and Dried Cranberries
For a delicious rice side dish this holiday season, why not try spiced wild rice pilaf with butternut squash and dried cranberries? This tasty dish calls for fresh ginger, cumin, cinnamon, cranberries and more flavorful ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups 3/4 inch cubes, peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound cubes)
- 1 cup wildrice
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 sweet apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Cape Cod Cranberries
- Heat oil, onion and carrot in a deep skillet or saucepan with lid. Cook and stir over medium heat 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add ginger, curry powder, cumin and garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add squash, rices, apple, cinnamon stick and broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until rices are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cranberries. Let stand 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead and held uncovered at room temperature. To serve, cover lightly and reheat in microwave.)
Read NextFriendsgiving Food Ideas