Savory Root Vegetable Cobbler
If you're looking for new easy casserole recipes for dinner, this savory dish is amazing! Loaded with veggies and topped with a biscuit topping, you won't get enough of this Savory Root Vegetable Cobbler.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 cups carrots, large diced
- 2 pinchs of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) package of mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large Russet potatoes, large diced
- 2 turnips, large diced
- BÃ©chamel Sauce:
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Biscuit Topping:
- 3 cups Pioneer baking mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- On the stove top in a large skillet, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat and then add the onions, celery, carrots and two pinches of kosher salt. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often for even cooking.
- Add in the garlic, mushrooms and thyme and stir very well. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often to be sure filling is well mixed. Once that’s done, set aside for later use.
- To make the béchamel sauce - in a separate pot, 5 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir well with a whisk to ensure there are no lumps. You’re making a blonde roux so this will only cook for about 2 minutes - until slightly darker but still pale (stir constantly). Whisk in the milk and one tablespoon kosher salt and stir well. Keep on the heat until sauce is thickened a bit – should take 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable mixture from the skillet plus the raw potatoes and turnips. Mix very well until all the veggies are well-coated with the béchamel sauce. Pour into a 9”x13” baking pan and set aside for now.
- In a mixing bowl, prepare the Pioneer mix according to package directions. Spoon the biscuit mix on top of the veggie base.
- Bake for 40 minutes uncovered. Once pulled from the oven, let sit 5 minutes then enjoy.
Read NextSeven Layer Tortilla Pie