Panda Express Style Orange Chicken
Panda Express has lots of great dishes, but none are as legendary as their orange chicken recipe. One of our most popular copycat recipes, Panda Express Orange Chicken can now become your favorite when you go out and when you decide to dine in. Tasting just like the original, you can make as much as you want so you have plenty for another meal and then some.
If you like this restaurant recipe, then you will love our free 27 Secret Restaurant Copycat Recipes eCookbook. Download your copy for free now!
For more great copycat restaurant recipes, check out the Recipe Lion collection of The 10 Best Copycat Restaurant Recipes.
Cooking Time15 min
- 2 pounds chicken pieces, boneless and skinned
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- White pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 dash red hot chilies
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- To make orange sauce, combine zest, orange juice, granulated sugar, chicken stock and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut chicken pieces in 2-inch squares and place in large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
- Stir 1/2 cup cornstarch and flour together. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees F. Add chicken pieces, a small batch at time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. Do not overcook or chicken will be tough. Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds. Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
- Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken and heat until sauce is thick. Stir in 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- Serve at once.