Mexican Corn Chowder
Sweet corn and mild Mexican spices are perfectly blended in this richly flavored deeply satisfying corn chowder recipe. Make Mexican Corn Chowder for your family tonight.
Additional heart healthy meal suggestions can be found at www.Mazola.com. Corn oil contains the highest amount of naturally occurring plant sterols per serving compared to any other cooking oil. Corn oil, such as Mazola, contains four times as many plant sterols as olive oil and 40 percent more than canola oil. Switching to corn oil whenever you use cooking oil is a great way to add plant sterols to your diet.
Preparation Time20 min
Cooking Time10 min
- 1/3 cup Mazola corn oil
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 serrano or jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/3 cup Maseca instant corn masa flour
- 2 tablespoons Mazola chicken flavor bouillon
- 2 teaspoons Spice Island's ground cumin
- 5 cups water
- 8 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and chile peppers and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Combine corn masa flour, bouillon powder and cumin in a small bowl. Stir to blend; add to pot with onions and mix well.
- Gradually add water and mix well using a whisk. Add corn and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Ladle about 1/3 of the corn mixture into a blender or food processor. Add the half and half and puree for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour pureed mixture back into the soup, stirring to combine.
- Bring soup to a low boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with additional fresh cilantro and hot sauce, if desired.
- Recipe Suggestion: For a heartier soup, add diced cooked shrimp or chicken while the soup is simmering.
Read NextChi Chi's Chicken Chimis