Aloo Aur Simla Ki Mirch (potatoes with Green Peppers)
This Indian potatoes recipe is simple, yet spicy and original. Serve Aloo Aur Simla Ki Mirch and impress your friends with your international culinary focus!
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 12 ounces green peppers, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 7 tbsp cooking oil (tail)
- 2 small onions, peeled and finely chopped (pyaz)
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 white cummin seeds (sabut safeid zeera)
- 1 crushed garlic (lehsun)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch)
- salt to taste (namak)
- 8 ounces tomatoes, finely chopped (timitar)
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped (hara dhania)
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and brown the onions. When they are golden, add the fenugreek and cumin seeds and stir until they turn a shade or two darker. This will only take a few moments.
2. Add the garlic, turmeric, red chilli powder and salt and stir together for a few mins, taking care that the spices do not burn and ruin both the flavour and colour of the dish. Add the chopped potatoes and green peppers and simmer over low heat in a covered pan.
3. After 5 mins, add the tomatoes, replace the lid and cook until both the potatoes and peppers are tender. Stir in the fresh coriander before removing from the heat to serve.