Low-Fat Oven Fried Fish
"Low fat" and "fried" together in one recipe? It IS possible, and in classic favorites like fried fish. This Low Fat Oven Fried Fish is ideal for those watching fat and cholesterol who don't want to skimp on taste.
This recipe is low fat and low cholesterol.
- 4 4-ounce fresh or frozen cod (or other fish fillets)
- nonstick spray coating
- 3 tablespoons seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- dash of ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels.
- Measure thickness of fish. Spray a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray coating; set aside.
- Stir together bread crumbs, cornmeal, celery salt, and red pepper.
- Add oil, tossing to combine.
- Brush one side of each fish fillet with egg white, then dip in bread crumb mixture.
- Place fish fillets, crumb side up, in prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 500 degree F oven 6 to 8 minutes for each 1/2-inch thickness of fish or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.