- 3 onions, peeled and sliced thinly, salted and gently cooked
- in olive oil until thoroughly softened.
- Lump of butter
- 4 medium potatoes, steamed in their skins, cooled then peeled
- and sliced into 1/4 inch(6mm) discs
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 6 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
Serves 3-4. Make a base layer of onions, with the butter cut up and spread around the pan. Then put in your layer of potatoes, followed by the fresh herbs. Whisk the eggs well with a good amount of pepper and pour them over the top. Set the pan over a low flame to cook. When the eggs are completely set (about 15 minutes) season with salt, flip the omelette over on a dish and then slide back into the pan and place the pan back in the oven to brown the underside (1-2 minutes). Take it off the heat and allow it to rest until warm It can be placed on greaseproof paper for your picnic or served immediately.