Lightened Up Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
If you love quiche, but are looking for a recipe that won't undo your whole day, this Lightened Up Broccoli Cheddar Quiche is the perfect recipe to make. Try this recipe out today, and see how good eating lighter can feel. Made with a brown rice crust, you won't have to worry about an excess of butter making its way into this meal. Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses give this recipe plenty of flavor, and bits of broccoli and green onion add a nice, and slightly crunchy consistency, and give you a helping of veggies. Serve this quiche for breakfast, lunch or dinner - it's one meal that is as versatile as it is delicious.
*Fresh broccoli should be blanched. To do this, cut the broccoli into small pieces and place into a large pot of boiling water for 2 minutes, until it is bright green and just beginning to cook. Drop into a bowl if ice water until cool to the touch. Dry well on paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
**You may use frozen broccoli - simply place into a colander and run water over it to thaw, then dry well on paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
Cooking Time50 min
Cooking Vessel Size9-inch pie pan
- For the Crust:
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked as package directs and cooled
- 1/4 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- For the Quiche:
- 2 cups broccoli florets (see note)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Stir rice, cheeses and egg together. Press into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan to 1/4-inch thickness. Bake about 7 minutes; crust will just begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare all of the filling ingredients and beat the eggs with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- When crust is baked, lower oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- In the bottom of the crust, layer the broccoli and cheeses. Pour the egg mixture over and sprinkle the chopped green onions and extra Cheddar and Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until eggs are firm and top is golden brown.
- May be served immediately or at room temperature.
Step 1: Prepare and bake your crust
*Make sure you push the crust up against the sides of the pie pan, so that it is able to brown when cooked.
Step 2: Add broccoli to the inside of the crust
Step 3: Sprinkle cheese on top of broccoli, and then pour egg mixture over both.
It should look like this:
Step 4: Sprinkle green onions on top
Step 5: Sprinkle extra Cheddar and Parmesan Cheese on top
Step 6: Bake at 375 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.
Step 7: Take your quiche out of the oven, let cool, slice and enjoy!