The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
Homemade Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
These old fashioned chicken and dumplings are comfort food at its best.
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Learn how to make an easy recipe for old fashioned chicken and dumplings just like mom and grandma used to make. Just follow along with this fun tutorial and relish in the wonderful memories of childhood and cooking with grandma in the kitchen.
Many of us have distinct memories of time spent baking and cooking in the kitchen, with mom, with grams or even with an aunt. There are memories of cookies, pies and cakes and other wonderfully yummy treats. At my house one of those happy memories involves cooking an old fashioned dumplings recipe with my grandmother.
Recently we decided to recreate our own homemade chicken and dumplings and found it was a lot easier than we thought. Even a cooking novice will find this easy recipe simple to make and delicious to eat.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups Original Bisquick mix
- 2/3 cup milk
This delicious chicken soup will fill you up and keep you warm and toasty on a cold fall day. It's easy to make a great soup for the whole family kids will love the corn and noodles. Amish Style Chicken and Corn Soup
How to Cook the Chicken and Veggies
Add all of the vegetables, chicken, and spices to a large stock pot. Add enough water to the pot to submerge all of the ingredients.
Cover and heat to boiling, then reduce heat. Simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
How to Make Dumplings
While the chicken and veggies are cooking, stir together Bisquick mix and milk in a bowl until a soft dough forms.
Once the chicken and vegetables are cooked through, drop spoonfulls of the dough into the stock pot, on top of the chicken and vegetables.
Add enough to make a layer of dumplings on top. Don't worry if it looks like it's blending together, it will cook into little biscuit mounds.
Cook this uncovered about 10 minutes.
Then cover and cook another 10 minutes or until the Bisquick mixture has turned to what looks like cooked biscuits.
Remove from heat and serve.
Find more hearty, comforting recipes in our free eBook. 38 Best Soup Recipes and Hearty Stews eCookbook
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- How to Make Apple Pie Filling
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- Homemade Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- Foodie Photos: 8 Food Photography Tips for Beginners
- How to Boil Perfect Eggs
- 21 Crowd-Pleasing Easy Potluck Recipes
- How To Make a Chipotle-Style Burrito Bowl at Home
- Easy Freezer Cooking Tips and 21 Freezer Meal Ideas
- How Do You Brown Ground Beef?
- How to Make the Best Amish Pie, Plus 18 More Free Amish Recipes
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Strawberry Stuffed Cupcakes
- Barbecue Rub
- 31 Easy Dinner Recipes for October
- Easy Bisquick Substitute
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Pies
- Simple Chicken Quesidilla
- Beer Can Chicken
- Potato Chip Chicken and Noodle Casserole
- Blueberry Almond Poppy Seed Muffin Trifles
- Easy Baked Chicken Nuggets
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes