Dayton Dumplings and Chicken Darlin'
Tennessee, what is it famous for? Football and moonshine! What about when it comes to food? Blogger Jan has decided that chicken and dumpling recipes are the "signature" Tennessee food; who can argue with that? These Dayton Dumplings and Chicken Darlin' are comfort food at its best; plus it's been tweaked to be healthier, but you'd never know it by the taste!
Recipe author's spin: This is almost like a chicken pot pie without having the entire crust, so I'm thinking it would be good with perhaps some carrots in it, or maybe some mushrooms. Also, you can bake this uncovered the entire 40 minutes. Serve this in a bowl and use a spoon.....you really don't want to waste a bit!
1 Serving = 7 PointsPlus™
*The PointsPlus™ values for this recipe was calculated by me (Jan Gomes) and is not an endorsement or approval of this recipe by Weight Watchers International, Inc., the owner of the PointsPlus™ registered trademark.*
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 tsp of dried stuff)
- 1/4 cup light butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Splenda granulated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen green peas
- 4 cups cooked cubed chicken breasts
- ---For Dumplings:
- 2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart Baking Mix
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2/3 cup fat free 0% milk
- In a large saucepan, saute' onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour, Splenda, salt, basil and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute; reduce heat. Add peas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken. Pour into 13 x 9 " baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray (like Pam).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine Bisquick and basil. Stir in milk with a fork until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into 12 mounds over the chicken mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer.