Fruit Filled Stuffing
Fruit-Filled Stuffing packed with dried fruits is a homemade stuffing recipe sure to impress guests at your Thanksgiving dinner. When using fruit in the stuffing recipe, a little brandy makes it that much sweeter.
If you are using fruit, soak it really well in 1 cup of brandy for a flavorful stuffing.
Variations: pork sausage, wheat bread, celery, and sage old croissants (instead of bread), cranberries, sage and brandy, sweet sausage.
Cooking Time45 min
- 2 loaves old bread, sliced, toasted and cubed
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut up fine
- 1 or 2 large onions, peeled, and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons to 6 of your favorite fresh herbs, or 2 to 6 teaspoons dried (sage, basil, oregano)
- 2 cups chopped celery or fruit (raisins, cranberries)
- 2 eggs
- In your biggest pot, saute the veggies (onions, carrot, celery, ...) and the sausage.
- Break up the sausage into the smallest bits that you can. Do not saute fruit if you are using it, at this point.
- When this is sauteed, add the rest of the ingredients except eggs; mix well.
- Add the eggs, and mix well. They help the stuffing stick together.
- Stuff your bird and cook per bird directions. This stuffs a good 20-plus-pound bird, so if you have extra, put it in a baking dish and stick it in the oven for the last 30 to 45 minutes of bird roasting.
- Cover the dish with foil to keep it from toasting.
Read NextLeftover Mashed Potato Cakes