Auntie's Favorite Stuffing
You'll love Auntie's favorite stuffing in your Thanksgiving bird. The secret to this recipe is the water chestnuts, which add a light and pleasant crunch to your stuffing. Use this to stuff a large bird and bake off any leftovers in a casserole.
Note: Save and freeze all your leftover or stale bread until you have about 7 cups.
- 7 cups bread, cubed or in crumbs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 or 3 large tart apples, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chervil
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 small can water chestnuts, drained and sliced in half
- Mix all ingredients together and stuff the bird. If you use packaged or dried bread, add 1/2 to 1 cup of chicken stock to moisten a bit.