Leftover Turkey Stew
Use up your Thanksgiving leftovers when you cook up this thick turkey stew recipe that can easily feed the whole family!
While we all love turkey on Turkey Day, it can be hard to get your family to eat the exact same meal the following day (or the day after that)! Reuse your Thanksgiving turkey leftovers with this clever and tasty alternative. Addie's leftover turkey stew is ideal for the day after. Using potatoes, thyme, and onion, this stew recipe has a unique flavor, ensuring that even your pickiest eaters will enjoy it.
From the Chef: I get into turkey kicks throughout the year, not just during Thanksgiving. I'll cook a full turkey for dinner and find ways to use the leftovers in all kinds of things: salads, sandwiches, and of course, stews. If you want an even thicker stew, add more flour.
- Addie Gundry
This recipe is from RecipeLion's 103 Cookbook series, Homemade Soup Recipes: 103 Easy Recipes for Soups, Stews, Chilis, and Chowders Everyone Will Love.
Preparation Time15 min
Cooking Time25 min
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 yellow potatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, plus extra to taste
- 2 pounds shredded or chopped leftover turkey meat
Be sure to ENTER TO WIN a Tovolo Best Bulb Baster to use this Thanksgiving! Leave a comment on this page and you will receive a bonus entry. Don't miss the grand prize giveaway including one of each prize featured in the 10 Days of Thanks!
In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and season with the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Saute for about 2 minutes, then stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
Pour in the potatoes, broth, half-and-half, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, and cover. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in the turkey and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this post. Duplicate comments are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of November 20th, 2017.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account)
- You have until November 19th, 2017 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
What is your favorite food to eat "the next day"?
Answer below for your chance to win!
Read NextShortcut Beef Stew