Magic Healing Soup
Whether you're fighting off a cold or simply want something to warm you up, this Magic Healing Soup is the perfect vegetable soup recipe for the job. It's a cross between a vegetable soup and cabbage soup that's light yet comforting and delicious. We call it "magic" because it's a healing recipe that is packed with good-for-you ingredients that help you feel better. The taste is so good that you'll want to go back for a second bowl, and you won't even feel guilty about it! Better yet, the most difficult part of this recipe is chopping the vegetables. From there, it's just dump and simmer. This can also be made into a slow cooker soup recipe. Simply saute the vegetables separately, add the ingredients to your slow cooker, and good on high for 2 to 3 hours. It makes enough soup to freeze some for later, so you can have a meal ready to thaw whenever you need it!
This makes a large amount of soup, perfect for freezing. To freeze, simmer the soup for 20-30 minutes, just so the vegetables are slightly undercooked. Cool soup completely, then transfer to Ziplock bags. Freeze bags on a cookie sheet for about an hour, then layer the bags in your freezer once frozen.
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time40 min
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 to 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 zucchini squash, diced
- 2 cups green beans (frozen or fresh)
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 (14-1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 cups tomato juice (V-8, homemade, or store bought)
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, saute onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrot, and celery until soft - about 5-10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients to the pot and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Taste the soup and adjust for seasoning. Serve hot.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- In a pan on the stovetop, saute onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrot, and celery just until soft - about 5 minutes. Add to the slow cooker with remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cook on HIGH 2-3 hours.