Avocado Potato Salad with Horseradish
Classic potato salad recipes lack the funky flavor that this potato salad for parties has. Make the best potato salad recipe today.
- 2 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh dill sprigs, veins removed
- 1 cup celery, cut into bite size
- 2 medium or 1 large avocado
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in the bottom of a vegetable steamer. Cut the potatoes in half and place them in the steamer basket. Cover and steam until they are cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the heat and allow them to cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are cooking, whisk the oil and vinegar together in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt, and set aside.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle without burning your fingers, cut them into 1 inch cubes. Toss them in the oil and vinegar so they are coated well, and set them aside to cool to room temperature, tossing occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, yogurt, and horseradish. Mince the dill and add it to the sour cream mixture, mixing well.
- When the potatoes have cooled to room temperature, add the celery and toss to combine. Then add the sour cream mixture, and toss again.
- Halve, pit, and peel the avocados. Cut them into 1-inch cubes, and place them in a small bowl with the lime juice. Toss so that the cubes are moistened with the juice.
- Then add the avocados, with all of the lime juice, to the potatoes, and toss gently until they are well distributed. Add pepper and additional salt by taste, and either serve immediately or chill for 30 minutes and then serve.