German Food Recipes: 23 Classic Dishes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
German food is some of the best on the planet. If you're thinking about trying out a new ethnic cuisine, consider some of these great German Food Recipes. These 23 classic German dishes are hearty, delicious and have stood the test of time. Your family is sure to love these traditional German food ideas and they may just become part of your regular weeknight routine. If you love potatoes and goulash, just to name a few ingredients, these recipes are a great introduction to the world of German cooking from an American standpoint.
Table of Contents
German Appetizer Recipes
- Loaded with veggies and delicious spices, this All Day German Beef Stew is just what you want to eat after a busy day. As much as we love the flavor of this hearty stew, what we love even more is how easy it is to prepare.
- This classic German recipe is an easy side dish to throw together, requires no cooking, and is bursting with flavor. Omi's German Bologna Salad combines ring bologna, red pepper, onion, tomato, and cheese in an oil and vinegar dressing.
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Bacon is full of finger-licking flavors. The combination of tangy cider vinegar, salty soy sauce, sweet onions, and smoky bacon makes this German side dish absolutely addictive.
- This ham-and-bean soup is simple but satisfying. Great comfort food for a rainy night! There's nothing like great bean soup recipes to satisfy.
- If all soups were as flavorful as this Old Country Sauerkraut Soup, we'd be in heaven! Taking cues from traditional German cooking, this awesome soup recipe features smoked sausage, sauerkraut and a tasty blend of spices.
- Slow cooker soups are comforting dinners. Slow Cooker Beef Dumpling Soup is an easy slow cooker soup recipe that serves six people.
Traditional German Main Dishes
- German food recipes are always warm and comforting, and this slow cooker soup recipe is no exception.
- There are three reasons why this meatloaf recipe is "crazy." It's crazy easy to make, crazy delicious and includes a crazy ingredient: applesauce!
- If you love traditional German food, you're going to flip for German Stuffed Rolls. The filling is a combination of ground beef, cabbage, and onion, and it's put inside a fluffy homemade dinner roll for the perfect meal.
- Made with ground beef, veggies, and macaroni, this ground beef goulash is one hearty dinner. It will be ready in just over 30 minutes, so you can make this great dinner during the week.
- German Pot Roast (Sauerbraten)"Sauerbraten, also known as German Pot Roast, is a traditional dish of this European country. It's usually served on various holidays, such as Christmas but can be enjoyed any day."
- This recipe is a version of the classic German Sauerbraten with Spaetzle noodles. However, it has a little twist. The gravy on top of the beef is actually made with ginger snaps to lend it a surprisingly sweet and spicy flavor.
German Potato Salad Recipes
- For a truly amazing potato salad recipe, Grandma Frances' Wisconsin German Potato Salad is a front runner.
- The most delicious potato salads are the ones that are made with love, and my oma definitely infused her brand of love in this potato salad recipe!
- If you love everything about a traditional-style potato salad, then get ready to enjoy this modern twist recipe for Potato Salad Bites.
- When you want a real taste of childhood, make Old Fashioned German Potato Salad. This is the classic potato salad recipe that you've been waiting for.
- Hot German Potato Salad"Hot German Potato Salad is a scrumptious side dish that everyone will love with its' warm bacon potato goodness with just the right sweet tang makes this potato salad delicious.
German Dessert Recipes
- This lovely multi layered cake is a classy but simple dessert. Elegant Black Forest Cake is made with chocolate cake, cherry filling, and dark chocolate frosting.
- If you're looking for a good old-fashioned German recipe, this may be one of the best. German Butter Pound Cake is a cake recipe from scratch that makes the moistest pound cake you'll ever eat.
- German Apple Cake is as authentic as it gets. This apple cake recipe has been translated all the way from Germany so we all have a chance to make it ourselves.
- German Chocolate Ice Cream PieThis ice cream pie is a chocolate lover's dream. It's a perfect frozen dessert for any occasion but especially for the Christmas season. Even though it might not be as traditional as some other German dessert recipes, it's still a total win in our books!
- German Chocolate BrowniesFor a perfect "anytime" dessert, whip up a batch of these German Chocolate Brownies.
- German Apple CobblerMom's German Apple Cobbler is the perfect dessert for fall, but once you taste it, you'll want to make this easy apple cobbler recipe all the time.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Images from other cooks
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Perfect Chicken Schnitzel
30-Minute Cheesy German Soup
Caramelized Apple German Pancake
Omi's German Bologna Salad
Old Fashioned German Goulash
German Food Recipes: 23 Classic Dishes
7 Easy German Dessert Recipes
Anna's Slow Cooker German Goulash
Million Dollar Potato Dumplings
Germany's Best Goulash Soup
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes