Deep Fried Fish and Chips
In the mood for some good ol' fish and chips? This recipe for Deep Fried Fish and Chips is a home-cooked version of your favorite pub fare. For delicious results, season with salt and serve with malt vinegar!
- deep fat or oil
- 8 medium white fish fillets or 4 large
- 4 ounces flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into batons
- malt vinegar to taste
- Half-fill a deep pan with melted fat or oil.
- Heat until a faint haze rises from it (or until a bread cube sinks to the bottom of the pan, rises to the top immediately and turns golden in 50 seconds).
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Beat to a smooth batter with unbeaten egg, butter and milk.
- Coat 2 pieces of fish with batter.
- Lift into the pan with a fork or kitchen tongs.
- Fry until crisp and golden, allowing about 6-8 minutes for large pieces and 4-5 minutes for medium.
- Remove from the pan and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Repeat with the remaining fish.
- Fill a deep pan one-third full with vegetable oil or dripping and heat to 374 degrees F.
- When hot, add the potato pieces and cook for 4-5 minutes or until just beginning to color.
- Remove the potatoes, reheat the oil to 374 degrees F then cook again for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle both the fish and the chips with salt and malt vinegar to taste.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
More from "Fish"
We're cookin' up one of these fish recipes for dinner tonight! From baked fish recipes to grilled fish recipes and more, we've got some of the best easy fish recipes using cod, tuna, salmon, catfish, and more.
There are no records