Boston Brown Bread
Amongst New England brown bread recipes, this Boston brown bread recipes ranks supreme because of its simplicity. Make this regional specialty in a slow cooker for the best slow cooker recipe around.
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons raisins, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup warm water
1. In a mixing bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, molasses, sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just till combined. Stir in raisins.
3. Pour mixture into 2 well-greased 1-pint straight-sided wide mouth canning jars; cover the jars tightly with foil. Set jars in slow cooker.
4. Pour 1/2 cup warm water into the slow cooker around the jars. Cover; cook on high setting about 2 hours, or till a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean.
5. Remove jars from cooker. Cool 10 minutes. Carefully remove bread from jars. Cool completely on rack before cutting.