Apricot Nut Bread
Apricot nut bread makes for a great apricot quick bread recipe because it is a quick easy slow cooker recipe. Turn your slow cooker into an oven with this easy recipe.
Cooking MethodSlow Cooker
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1. Place the apricots on a chopping block. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour over them. Dip a knife into the flour and chop the apricots finely. Flour the knife often to keep the cut up fruit from sticking together.
2. Sift the remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Combine the milk, egg, orange peel, and oil.
3. Stir the flour mixture and the whole wheat flour. Fold in the cut up apricots and any flour left on the cutting block and the walnuts.
4. Pour into a well greased, floured baking unit. Cover and place on a rack in the slow cooker, but prop the lid open a fraction with a toothpick or a twist of foil to let excess steam escape. Cook on High for 4 to 6 hours.
5. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
6. Note: Some manufacturers are making units for slow cookers, but if you don't have one, a 2 pound coffee can works. Pyrex muffin cups also work. Also 1, 1 1/2 and 2 quart molds work. Do not lift the lid while baking this bread.