The Ultimate Kitchen Guide: How-Tos, Cooking Tips & Essential Kitchen Knowledge
How to Improve Pre-Packaged Food
Learn how to make canned and other pre-packaged foods taste homemade!
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Pre-packaged foods are also known as convenience foods and for good reason. These foods are easy and quick to make. Whether they are canned vegetables, boxed noodles, or frozen pizzas, they are often go-to meals especially on busy weeknights.
These foods, though, are often much more unhealthy than fresh alternatives. Often high in calories, fat, sodium, and sugars, they can play a large part in an unhealthy lifestyle. These foods often don’t taste as good as fresh foods, either. They tend to be bland, basic foods without much nutritional value.
But still, the convenience of these items can’t be beat. So is there way to improve both the health benefits and the flavor of pre-packaged foods?
The answer is an overwhelming, yes. You can improve on these foods with nutrient rich additions and bold flavors. Here is a list of some of the best ways to improve on your favorite packaged foods.
Table of Contents
How to Make Packaged Foods Healthier
It isn’t as difficult as you may think to make packaged foods healthier. It really all revolves around what you add and what you take away. One way to make foods healthier is to reduce unnecessary calories and keep sodium and fat levels down. You can do this by skipping salt and/or butter in a recipe. You can also reduce the sodium levels of canned foods by rinsing them before cooking.
Foods to add are high in nutrients. You should look for foods with high protein, fiber, vitamin, and mineral contents.
Here are some examples of foods to add:
Looking for more healthy recipes? Check out this free e-cookbook for some of our favorites. "The 27 Essential Heart Healthy Diet Recipes" Free eCookbook
How to Make Packaged Foods Tastier
If the packaged foods you picked up are a little bland, there are many ways to improve the flavor. Focus on finding bold flavors to give your meal a needed boost. Flavors to look for are citrus, smoke, umami, and spice. Do some tests of your own to discover your favorite flavors.
Some options are to:
- Add hot sauce
- Add fresh herbs or garlic
- Make a sauce or dressing
- Add good quality condiments
- Integrate a citrus flavor
- Add grilled vegetables
You may also be looking for some ways to improve specific dishes, while this has a lot to do with your own flavor preference, there are many typical improvements made to convenience foods.
- Caramelize onions
- Prepare rice with chicken stock instead of water
- Add kale to packaged soups
- Sprinkle extra cheese on a frozen pizza
- Grate fresh Parmesan into boxed Mac & Cheese
- Add an egg to your ramen
Check out these easy recipes for tastier chicken. 14 Tasty, Quick & Easy Chicken Recipes
Recipes to Improve Packaged Foods
Improvements on pre-packaged foods can be as simple as adding a new ingredient, or they can be more in depth. Many of these recipes use packaged and canned foods as the base of their dish. If you’re interested in more way to improve your favorite pre-packaged meals, check out these recipes.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
This Classic Salisbury Steak Recipe is an old fashioned comfort food recipe you're surely familiar with. A favorite among many Moms… Continue reading: "Classic Salisbury Steak Recipevideocam"
- How to Make Jiffy Cornbread Moist
- Crunchwrap Supreme
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- How to Freeze Broth or Stock
- Is White Vinegar the Same as White Wine Vinegar?
- How to Use Up Eggs: 50+ Recipes and Smart Ideas
- How Much Juice is in a Lemon? Get Easy Conversions for Your Recipe!
- Can You Freeze Shredded Cabbage for Coleslaw?
- Ground Chuck vs. Ground Beef
- How to Reheat Meatloaf
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Butternut Squash Pasta With Chili & Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin Fluff Dip
- Baked Spaghetti Squash Carbonara Casserole
- Carrot Ginger Soup
- Old-fashioned Cranberry Muffins
- Sloppy Joe
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- Victoria Sponge Cake In Air Fryer
- Beet Salad
- Air Fryer Cheesecake
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes