How to Cook on a Budget
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
In these increasingly tough economic times, it's more important than ever to do things on a budget: Shop on a budget, go out on a budget, and perhaps most importantly, cook on a budget. Unfortunately, many people think that cooking on a budget means sacrificing taste and nutrition, which does not have to be the case. Equipped with budget-friendly menu ideas, even the most hard-core foodie can make meals, sides, even desserts —and not break the bank.
One way to make cooking on a budget easier is to buy in bulk. Many of us belong to warehouse clubs such as Sam's Club or Costco. While it may not seem sensible...at first...for a single person to shop there, you might just be surprised. You're not going to need 5 pounds of flour or sugar today, but if you really plan to cook more and eat out less (another key to budget living), you're going to need those ingredients. No one is suggesting you go out and buy a giant-sized package of honey if you have no intention of using it, there may be some staples it would make sense for you to buy in bulk. If you don't already belong to a warehouse club, take advantage of the "free for a day" offer that most of them have. This gives you a chance to mosey around the store for a day and check everything out to help determine if it makes sense to sign up for membership. If it doesn't make sense for you, no sweat. At least you checked for free.
Now, for some low-budget recipes. Start your meal with something warm and wonderful like this Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup. Comfort food that's budget-friendly is what this vegetable chicken noodle soup is all about. Make the full batch, or cut it down to feed a smaller crowd. Any way you make it, this soup is deeee-licious, and the extra veggies make it healthy too. Another cheap, easy starter is Spam Chowder.
As main courses go, this Black Bean Casserole is a surefire winner. Black bean lovers will love this simple casserole recipe. It pairs perfectly with garlic lime chicken or steak. The best thing about this recipe is that the ingredients are inexpensive, but it will still feed a whole crowd. Another easy budget stretcher is this Chicken and Rice with Gravy dinner.
Cooking on a budget by no means you have to give up the sweet things in life, and by "sweet," I mean "dessert." There are plenty of dessert recipes that fit into a low-budget lifestyle. Take these peanut butter cookies for instance. Not only are they budget-friendly, you can even have them if you have a gluten intolerance! Perhaps it is the aptly named Poor Man's Cake that is the fitting end to your budget-conscious meal. Think you can't enjoy a sweet treat when you're living on a tight budget? Think again! It's a yummy way to end your meal.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Recipe of the Day
This recipe for Sour Cream Hash Brown Bake is the picture of comfort. Made with creamy cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and shredded… Continue reading: "Sour Cream Hash Brown Bakevideocam"
- Recipe Converter: How to Halve and Third a Recipe
- Can You Make Cool Whip Frosting Thicker?
- How to Use Up Eggs: 34 Clever Ideas and Recipes
- Is White Vinegar the Same as White Wine Vinegar?
- How Much Juice is in a Lemon? Get Easy Conversions for Your Recipe!
- Do You Peel Zucchini?
- Can You Freeze Shredded Cabbage for Coleslaw?
- How to Make Jiffy Cornbread Moist
- How To Slice Watermelon 3 Ways
- How to Freeze Eggs
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Honey Garlic Chicken Legs
- Mediterranean Sheet Pan Sausage And Veggies
- Crispy Fried Chicken
- Allergy Friendly Easy Turkish Manti
- Bakery Style Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Watermelon Jello Shots
- Shrimp And Grits
- Kitchen Hacks: 12-ingredient Dry Rub For Ribs
- Shrimp And Crab Salad
- Ranch Hands' Bbq Pulled Pork Sandwiches With Spicy Coleslaw
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes