Tex Mex Chili with Black Beans, Corn and Butternut Squash
Tex-Mex Chili with Black Beans, Corn and Butternut Squash is a delicious, easy to make chili recipe ready in just 30 minutes. Butternut squash adds sweetness and balance to this healthful, hearty chili.
Recipe note: If using fresh butternut squash, microwave for 1 to 2 minutes before adding to the chili or allow extra cooking time to ensure tenderness.
Recipe note: Use two bags (14 ounces each) frozen southwest vegetable blend in place of the canned corn and black beans. For added spiciness, try adding chipotle chile powder, cayenne pepper or a favorite hot sauce.
Additional heart healthy meal suggestions can be found at www.Mazola.com. Corn oil contains the highest amount of naturally occurring plant sterols per serving compared to any other cooking oil. Corn oil, such as Mazola, contains four times as many plant sterols as olive oil and 40 percent more than canola oil. Switching to corn oil whenever you use cooking oil is a great way to add plant sterols to your diet.
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time20 min
- 1/4 cup Mazola corn oil or Mazola vegetable plus! oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Spice Island's chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Spice Island's ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Mazola chicken flavor bouillon or Mozola tomato bouillon with chicken flavor
- 1 can (15-ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11-ounces) mexi-corn, drained
- 12 ounces frozen diced butternut squash, thawed
- 1 can (28-ounces) crushed tomatoes OR tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- shredded Mexican cheese, for garnish
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- lime wedges, for garnish
- avocado slices, for garnish
- Heat oil in large 4 to 6-quart saucepan over medium heat and add turkey. Brown turkey for 5 to 7 minutes, breaking apart.
- Add onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin and bouillon powder and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onions soften.
- Stir in vegetables, tomatoes, water and ketchup.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with desired garnishes.
Read NextJohnny Cash Chili