Mamaw's Smothered Chicken and Gravy
When you're craving a homestyle meal, a peek inside Mamaw's recipe box never fails. This recipe for Mamaw's Smothered Chicken and Gravy is a budget-friendly recipe for fried chicken in a delicious savory pan gravy. It's one of those easy weeknight meals that you whip together when you can't think of what to make. Serve it with any of your favorite sides and you'll have a comforting meal that's sure to satisfy.
Cooking Time45 min
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup flour, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Set aside 3 tablespoons flour and place the remaining in a bowl. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then roll in the flour to coat, shaking off excess.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning halfway through, about 10 minutes. When golden brown, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of oil from the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add onions, celery, and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved flour and stir well. Gradually stir in broth and bring to a simmer.
- Return chicken to the skillet and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 35 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a platter and cover to keep warm. Bring sauce to a boil over high heat and cook until thickened, 5 minutes. Season the gravy with salt and pepper and pour over chicken.
Read Next5-Ingredient Stupid Chicken