The Ultimate Chicken Pot Pie
When you're cooking chicken pot pie from scratch, you want to make sure you're using the best recipe around. That's where this Ultimate Chicken Pot Pie dish comes in. Following this easy recipe from Campbell's Kitchen you can turn your leftover chicken and veggies into a whole new delicious dinner!
For more easy and delicious dinner ideas, check out our Campbell's Kitchen recipe collection.
Preparation Time20 min
Cooking Time1 hr 25 min
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 medium onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth or Swanson® Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed or 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 12-inch square. Press the pastry into a 2-quart round casserole. Trim the excess pastry. Prick the pastry thoroughly with a fork. Place aluminum foil onto the surface of the pastry.
Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil.
Heat the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Add the flour and cook and stir for 3 minutes or until the flour is golden brown. Slowly stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens.
Stir in the mustard, thyme, black pepper, chicken, peas and 3 tablespoons parsley. Remove the skillet from the heat.
Unfold the remaining pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut the pastry sheet crosswise into 6 (1 1/2-inch thick) strips.
Spoon the chicken mixture into the casserole. Weave a lattice pattern over the filling with the pastry strips. Trim any excess pastry. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley. Place the casserole onto a baking sheet.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the filling is hot and bubbling and the pastry is golden brown.
Read NextThe King of Casseroles