Chicken, Rice and Mushroom Casserole
Looking for a simple chicken casserole recipe? This Chicken, Rice and Mushroom Casserole is sure to become a weeknight staple in your home! The eclectic mix of chicken, rice and mushrooms with the creamy yogurt make for one unique casserole.
Preparation Time15 min
Cooking Time1 hr 30 min
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 10 pieces)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup Plain 0% Chobani Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning or fresh mixed herbs, such as rosemary, thyme and basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown chicken about 3 to 5 minutes on both sides. (Chicken does not have to be cooked through, just browned.) Remove chicken to bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Lower heat to medium, add onions and cook, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 30 seconds more. Spoon onions and garlic into a shallow 9 x 13 x 2 3-quart casserole dish.
- Raise heat to medium high. Add mushrooms to skillet.
- Sauté, until lightly brown, and mushrooms release some moisture. Add mushrooms to baking dish.
- Add 1/4 cup chicken stock to pan, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Let reduce to about 1 tablespoon.
- Add remaining 2½ cups stock and remove from heat. Whisk in Chobani and 1½ teaspoons salt.
- Stir rice into baking dish. Stir yogurt-stock mixture into rice.
- Add Italian seasoning (or fresh herbs) and to dish.
- Place chicken on rice mixture in a single layer. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 75 minutes.
- Remove foil. If there's too much liquid, let cook 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.
Read NextStupid Chicken Casserole