Bananda Com Queijo ( Banana Paste with Cheese)
Here are two foods you might not be used to eating in combination: bananas and cheese. This recipe serves 6 to 8.
- 2 1/4 granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 medium bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- confectioners' sugar
- 1 pound Muenster or cream cheese
1. Mix granulated sugar and water. Cook for 5 minutes or to a thick syrup.
2. Add bananas and cook until glossy. Remove bananas and mash. Continue cooking syrup until it spins a thread.
3. Return mashed bananas to syrup and cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes longer, or until thick. Add lemon juice and cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Pour into a serving dish and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve with slices of cheese followed by strong demitasse (Brazilian cafezinho). Note: A similar paste is made with guavas and other fruits.