We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
"Potato babka is a classic albeit obscure dish from the eastern parts of Poland, North Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania. Even though some Old Polish cooking traditions come therein (sumptuous borscht, caviar-filled blinis and pierogi – celebrated Polish dumplings), it was mainly peasant kitchen, based on potatoes. Potato is king in the Eastern outskirts. Forget gnocchi – kopytka are the original potato dumplings. Latkes, weirdly served with soured cream and a sprinkling of sugar, are eaten for dinner. There are potato-filled pierogis and potato kiszka or babka. The basis for the latter two is grated raw potato mass, quite like for preparing latkes or Swiss rösti. It is seasoned, traditionally just with salt, pepper and marjoram, and mixed with sweated down onions and diced bacon. I turned the dish on its head in order to, hopefully, do justice to a frugal peasant recipe and at the same time to satisfy modern dietary choices."
NotesTags: vegetarian, vegan, holiday, Polish
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Recipes
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Recipes & Articles
- Tomato Kurma Without Coconut
- Garlic Curry Recipe (poondu Kuzhambu)
- Homemade Biscuit
- Hoisin Sauce
- Linguine With Clams - Linguine Alle Vongole
- Lavender Pancakes With Lavender Honey
- Air Fryer Chimichangas
- Pretzel Ring With Cream Cheese Mustard Dip
- Conversation Heart Rice Krispie Treats
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- 12 of Our Best Anytime Soup Recipes
- 14 Restaurant-Style Country Recipes eCookbook
- 17 Effortless Recipes With Cake Mix
- 22 Valentines Day Dessert Recipes eCookbook
- 24 Must-Have Meatloaf Recipes
- 25 Stupidly Easy Recipes for Fall
- 28 Simple Slow Cooker Suppers
- 30 Minute Recipes: 21 Quick & Easy Meals - Free eCookbook
- 38 Best Soup and Hearty Stews Recipes
- Chicken for Dinner: 24 Easy Peasy Simple Chicken Recipes